new combi boiler not working | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new combi boiler not working in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

muzka

Hi,

if anyone can offer advice I be very grateful. I have had a new gas combi boiler conversion from gas installed this week. It is not working and saying there is not enough pressure. I need to open the vale to send pressure each time it switches on.

The installer has said there may b a leak and our 10mm piping may not be able to handle the pressure.

surely he should have tested the pressure and told us this before installing? is he responsible for fixing this problem?

my heating was fine before when using oil and we never had any leaks?

thank you for any advice

muzka

What does it say about exisiting pipework on his quote. Are there any terms of agreement?

If the leak is on existing pipework I don't cover that and it is written on my estimates in bold letters and also in my terms and conditions.

I never pressure test before putting a boiler in. Main reason is if I pressure test before putting a boiler in it is only going to cause a leak anyway so then you have a leak on the existing system and who will get the blame for that? That's right me.

Why is he a muppet?

You don't know the full story, anything can happen with 10mm pipe, could've been knocked or anything.

Even if he hasn't covered himself on the quote then it's harsh to expect him to fix leaks on old pipe work FOC.

you can not fit a boiler and blame the customers pipework................ get him back

depends on his/her terms. If it was a conversion then he/she may well have specified that existing pipework is not covered, its pretty standard.

if the guy said there were no leaks before the guy fitted the boiler, theres a good chance its the installer, either way he should go back it was only fitted this week

Why is he a muppet?

You don't know the full story, anything can happen with 10mm pipe, could've been knocked or anything.

Even if he hasn't covered himself on the quote then it's harsh to expect him to fix leaks on old pipe work FOC.

Who said anything about doing it free??

I regularly do fuseboard changes and my standard quote warns client of potential extra work and associated costs.

I don't understand how an installer of a new boiler can walk away - don't you guys do pre work testing??

I also agree we don't know the full story - maybe it was flagged up and the OP is trying to blag getting remedial work for nothing!

Last edited:

I regularly do fuseboard changes and my standard quote warns client of potential extra work and associated costs.

I don't understand how an installer of a new boiler can walk away - don't you guys do pre work testing??

I also agree we don't know the full story - maybe it was flagged up and the OP is trying to blag getting remedial work for nothing!

fair comment about nothing for free, but as a rule on a heat only to combi conversion we state that and fittings or pipework (existing) wont be covered if a pressurised system system was to develop a leak and any remedial work will be chargable. if this has not been stated get him/her back. regarding pre work testing we (I) generally dont do it as any issues may well be highlighted in a powerflush before the install, however this is only how we work and i hope you get it all sorted.

Think you're on the wrong forum my dear.

OP has disappeared anyway, whilst we squabble, that's what they do, tell half a story and we rise to the bait like carp in a garden centre pond. :wazzzup:

if he is a subby for ph jones its up to them to send someone back his earnt his 120 quid he wont get paid to go back without an order

Hi sorry, I was working.

Not trying to blag anything. Just stressed Ive spent a lot of money on something that doesn't work, money I can barely afford at a difficult time of the year so I thought I'd ask some advice.

Quote ta didn't mention original pipe work, just boiler type, flush, control system etc.

there was no mention that there may be issues and checking of the current system. Surely it's standard to alert a customer there may be issues if using 10mm piping? He came out again and sprayed some sealing spray and it's working now. I will check if it works again in the morning and fingers crossed it does.

Im not trying to get free work done, I just want it to work.

Thanks and and I appreciate all replies

muzka

you can not fit a boiler and blame the customers pipework................ get him back

Really? So if his gas ( I know it's oil) was leaking u find and fix for free? If the DHW is lead and leaking for free too? Awesome I have lots of work for you. Only condition is you don't discuss terms with custard. Charged £450 on thurs to run in 4 lengths of 22 in a loft and two up wall to replace gas in 1990 bungalow loads in the pipe line too lTook about 2.4 hours

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sorry, I was working.

Not trying to blag anything. Just stressed Ive spent a lot of money on something that doesn't work, money I can barely afford at a difficult time of the year so I thought I'd ask some advice.

Quote ta didn't mention original pipe work, just boiler type, flush, control system etc.

there was no mention that there may be issues and checking of the current system. Surely it's standard to alert a customer there may be issues if using 10mm piping? He came out again and sprayed some sealing spray and it's working now. I will check if it works again in the morning and fingers crossed it does.

Im not trying to get free work done, I just want it to work.

Thanks and and I appreciate all replies

muzka

If that fails try some ct1 it's succeeded where fernox hath failed

Wrap some tissue around all your rad valves to check for weeping before you go ripping up boards.
Also, run a tissue along the base of all your rads to check for splits, too.

Last edited:
Obviously he couldn't pressure test your old system without using and costing the op a couples hours labour so I think your installer has done his job so far. It's always a concern when changing from gravity to pressurised. If the leak is in the existing part of the system then it could be anywhere in the house and to fix this will probably cost and won't usually come with a quote because it's impossible to quote what you don't know.
Contact him and try to come to an amicable agreement to right the problem.

Obviously he couldn't pressure test your old system without using and costing the op a couples hours labour so I think your installer has done his job so far. It's always a concern when changing from gravity to pressurised. If the leak is in the existing part of the system then it could be anywhere in the house and to fix this will probably cost and won't usually come with a quote because it's impossible to quote what you don't know.
Contact him and try to come to an amicable agreement to right the problem.
Pressure testing is one thing, but pressure testing at 80° is another thing completely.

Sometimes leaks only show after the heatings been on a fair few hours, heated and cooled down a few times as I'm sure you've had yourself.

Its its just an unfortunate situation and I'm sure the engineer will be happy to fix the leaks at a reasonable rate.

Again thank you for the replies. I knew when posting it may not be his fault and all my responsibility to fix, I just wanted to find out for sure before I move on. It is still working since he added the sealant spray. Hopefully it stays working.

thanks again, I appreciate all the advice

So this morning it's not working again and I have had to manually open the valve and re pressurise the system.

Now the question of is it a leak or do I need new pipe work. So much stress :(

How much does the pressure drop?

What pressure do you top it up to and what pressure does the gauge read when you have to top it up?

Trying to determine the size of the leak.

Oz, we are on 26 post and we are nowhere near a fix or a solution, better find out where the OP lives, perhaps next door to a member, we are
still in basic question time, flying blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Hello All. The pump was disconnected and...
Replies
Views
Back