new combi boiler not working | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new combi boiler not working in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oz, we are on 26 post and we are nowhere near a fix or a solution, better find out where the OP lives, perhaps next door to a member, we are
still in basic question time, flying blind.

Apologies,

I don't know what come over me.
I was trying to be helpful - must be something I ate.

It drops to zero. I top it up to 1.5.

Trying to get someone out to check the work done and get second opinion

The higher the post count, when the OP is still contributing, is inversly proportional to the money they want to spend on a fix!

If its constantly needing filling up, there must be a leak!

In that case you do have a fairly substantial leak.

When the heating is on, does the pressure relief drain heat up or is water coming out of the drain.
It wouldn't be the first boiler to have a faulty pressure relief valve.

If that's not the case, then a pressure test on the system is required.
Locating the leak is the next step - if you're losing that much pressure in that amount of time, a leak on a rad, rad valve or anything visible would be obvious.

You may want to try to find someone with a thermal imaging camera to see if they can detect the leak.

It drops to zero. I top it up to 1.5.

Trying to get someone out to check the work done and get second opinion

Good idea Muzka, that will make 28 opinions so far, the truth will be in there somewhere, better get someone in the house
its much better that way.

Plumber has been and said it is definitely a leak. He said the installer should have warned me the old 10mm piping would struggle with the ideal combi boiler and as standard they would suggest a 15mm re pipe. He said when he flushed the system and upped the pressure with the new boiler it has caused a leak.

Ive now spent 1000s on a system that doesn't work and has broke my piping. My only option is to repipe the house but obviously no money for that. Nightmare

Or find and repair the leak!
probably a rad valve or one of the manifolds.

There must be thousands of homes with this setup that have been converted to a combi boiler, mine included.

Last edited:
Finding and repairing the leak would be cheaper but if the pipes are struggling it could leak again. Seems new pipes are best option

Did the guy come back and tell you it was a leak or was that over the phone. Reason is there are other things that could cause pressure loss. I admit, because it's a new boiler it is likely to be pipework but it could also be something wrong with the expansion vessel or the PRV letting by. This may not always be obvious because a lot of modern combis don't have a tundish and just plumb the PRV straight into the condensate pipe.

He should come back and at least check the boiler over. Sometimes you're just unlucky and get one of a bad batch. It may even have been dropped on route to the merchants before the plumber even got hold of it.

It's something that could be done before you start ripping up floor boards looking at pipework.

Also, I agree with Scot D, check the radiator valves. Notorious for leaking under pressure on 10mm copper pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding and repairing the leak would be cheaper but if the pipes are struggling it could leak again. Seems new pipes are best option

Agreed it's the best option but you've realistically got to weigh that up against what you can afford right now.

Have checked the rads as suggested but no leakage.

He came out and said it was a leak. He put in a sealant but no change. Had another plumber out today who said it was a leak somewhere

Muzka,

What does the pipe are struggling mean, just get someone to find the leak and fix it!

By struggling I mean not up to the job for handling the higher pressure and temperature. It would seem it's the new system that caused the leak. I can't find it though, if I could it would be easier to fix

Hi Muzka,

The piping in central heating systems can generally cope with the increase in pressure of converting from a gravity fed system to a pressurized system.

As a plumber - we don't enjoy the pitfalls in this situation, but things happen beyond our control.
It's just unfortunate that it happened to you.

Get a plumber to isolate the boiler, put a pressure test on the pipework and see if the leak is in the pipework.
The leak is substantial, and as stated previously, if it were obvious you would know about it.

You may only have 1 faulty join - locating the leak could be painful, but once located could be a very easy fix.

Have you got insurance - they may come to the party in assisting you financially in locating the leak and repairing the damage in locating the leak.

There's no point in blaming the Plumber - that's not going to get your system up and running again.
Try working with the Plumber and have this issue resolved.

By the way - what piping do you have in your heating system?

hi, thanks for the reply

its 10mm copper piping, thats all i know. I've noticed swelling in the conservatory floor though it usually swells in the cold, it does seem worse than usual though i may be just thinking that because i know i'm looking for leaks

again thank you for the advice

i had another plumber out and he said there was no visual signs of a leak but there is one somewhere, he said it may be a pain to find if under the floors somewhere. He did suggest a plumber that has equipment for listening for leaks but he is expensive. He said my options are to find the leak which may be difficult or repipe which he recommended as the pipes are old and 10mm

Have we establish is the floor is wood or concrete and if its wood can you get under it, if the pipe is in concrete then forget it and repipe the GF system,
Muzka where do you live. ???

the floor is wood but has a wood/laminate flooring down also which I would have to replace if removed so another cost if the leak isnt there. i think the plumber may have said about seeing under it from an area under a cupboard in the kitchen which new piping went into. Like i said it often swells in the cold because its a conservatory and not properly insulated like the other rooms in the house but it does seem worse than usual.

I should have the second plumber coming out later or tomorrow, he's a family friend and will do it a bit cheaper which will help. My original plumber hasn't answered my emails asking what is should do next

I'm just outside belfast

Hi Muzka,

I love the term expensive - particularly when i ask 'compared to what'
The plus side for you is the system is in copper - relatively easy to fix leaks.

So work it out - the cost of having a leak detector come in and detect the leak for you and have your plumber fix, or pay the plumber search for the leak and / or re-pipe your heating system.

Belfast sorry too far for me, I have an Infra-red camera but its no good unless its in concrete, it won't find it if there is air between the pipe and the floor, if you can crawl under the floor just get a trap made and
get down there, do you know how deep it is. You need a smart fast little plumber, not a big dopey one.

Good Luck

Fast Little Baldy Git Plumber. (Who can still get under floors 15"-18" deep)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Hello All. The pump was disconnected and...
Replies
Views
Back