New gas meter and my Ideal boiler breaks down - any ideas why? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New gas meter and my Ideal boiler breaks down - any ideas why? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ariel1973

I had my gas meter changed by the Onstream contractor for the gas company, at their request. Afterwards, the contractor tested my Ideal boiler which gave the error message that the ignition had locked out, to check other gas appliances (they were fine) and to call the installer. The contractor repeated the reset process 5 times and left saying that there was a problem with my boiler - I was left in the cold with my daughter who had special medical needs, in minus temperatures. Since I have Homeserve cover, I contacted them and eventually attended the following evening. The boiler repair man told me that the change of gas meter may have sent some muck into the system and he thinks the fan is damaged now (everything worked absolutely fine before the visit and the boiler is just 2 years old). Can anyone explain to me how 'muck' could have gotten into the system, when gas pipes are sealed? I would also like to know if any more damage could have been caused to my boiler? The gas company is implying the boiler was faulty and as I say it isn't very old and I have had it serviced annually. Many Thanks.

No, as far as I know - unless you do that at the site of the gas meter. He certainly did nothing inside with the boiler before he replaced the meter.

Keep trying reset! It may just be air from replacing the meter!!! You will not do yourself any harm by continuing to attempt to re-set the boiler .. IMO

Regards the meter installer PHAAAAA! They are not qualified to give an opinion! Honestly they are not trained to work on appliances! As far as I am aware anyways!

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy swapping the meter should have purged the gas through to the boiler and all other appliances when he was done. Cookers and fires are easy for him to do but boilers usually require using tools.
Meter fitters are not the sharpest tools in the box but saying that there are a few beauties work with homeserve too.
What model of boiler is it and as Diamondgas said it won't do any harm to try resetting it a few more times.

There could be debris (rust from iron pipes, installation debris) in the gas pipes that was disturbed when the meter was changed but I fail to see how that could get into the fan as there is a filter on the inlet to the gas valve.

Thanks.
I don't believe he did anything to the boiler 1st and certainly didn't get tools out - I got the manuals out for him to show how to reset the system. It is an ideal logic + combi 30.

keep trying to reset it as said there are some right numptys with both homeserve and meter installers ,and some ideals are a right pain to reset

Thats ok call the Ideal helpline and you should get an engineer out tomorrow
before you do that make sure the pressure gauge is above 1 Bar if not then top up the pressure

my other appliance (gas cooker) was fine straight away.

ok, if you only had a boiler on the system i would of been more certain it was air but still could be, as said try a few more resets

Whay have you got homeserve? The logic + has got a 5 year warranty.

yes it was the homeserve chap who said there is muck in it and needs a new fan

I don't know if meter fitters test the working pressure after installation, but if the meter is faulty or is restricted (possible) and restricting the flow of gas then a high burning appliance like a boiler may not be receiving the correct pressure and locking out, wouldn't be an issue on a cooker or fire.

Have you checked to make sure that the gas valve under the boiler is turned on ?? Is boiler showing a fault code ?

There will be no ''muck" in the fan, the gas must pass through the gas valve b4 It even gets to the fan, the gas valve has a gauze filter and therefore would filter out any debri. Although, if there is alot of debri at the filter it could restrict the gas working pressure and this would/could cause a lockout.

sounds to me like the homeserve guy was in a rush to get somewhere else the fan is not in any way connected to the gas supply so i dont even know why he came up with that the supply has air in it simple as that the meter installer has the responsibility to recommission all appliances be four he leaves because he must check the regulator working pressure this is a mandatory check under gas safe regulations and if i were you i would have a go at relighting it if no luck contact the contractor first thing to come back and the n cancel your homeserve contract hope your daughter is ok any decent gas bloke if he couldn't get your boiler going would have at the very least got you sorted with some emergency heating until any parts needed were sourced given your circumstances good luck let us know how you get on

Getting into the realms of a GS engineers expertise again methinks.
If it is debris disturbed by the installation of a new meter the supplier would not accept responsibility but without pressure readings everything is speculation.

sounds to me like the homeserve guy was in a rush to get somewhere else the fan is not in any way connected to the gas supply so i dont even know why he came up with that the supply has air in it simple as that the meter installer has the responsibility to recommission all appliances be four he leaves because he must check the regulator working pressure this is a mandatory check under gas safe regulations and if i were you i would have a go at relighting it if no luck contact the contractor first thing to come back and the n cancel your homeserve contract hope your daughter is ok any decent gas bloke if he couldn't get your boiler going would have at the very least got you sorted with some emergency heating until any parts needed were sourced given your circumstances good luck let us know how you get on

Are U sure the fan isn't connected to the gas supply in any way? I must imagine gas entering and mixing with air in a condensing fan b4 if gets to the burner.

the fan is not part of the gas supply it is part of the pre mix to the burner the only change this lady has had is the meter has been swapped so the chances of a piece of debris getting past the filter on the inlet and than past the zero govner then through the gas valve and being big enough to damage the fan is at best a little unlikely so its allays sensible to start at basics and purge the thing it may take a few tries but eventually enough air should be removed to enable the gas to be re instated when removing the meter for any reason the appliances must be recommissioned and this means purging must take place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
I get 1.65mB drop plus fittings for 30m in...
Replies
Views
D
Cadet will cap the gas due to the smell of gas...
Replies
Views
Have you now started using the heating or...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone - Recently bought a house which is...
Replies
Views
Back