New gas meter and my Ideal boiler breaks down - any ideas why? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New gas meter and my Ideal boiler breaks down - any ideas why? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
in this case it is my friend but would you not agree if you changed the wheel on your car and it now had a wobble on it is the wheel going to be the problem or has your drive shaft suddenly gone same thing it worked be four now it does not so its the gas supply that's the problem this may be down to a blockage but a quick check at the inlet pressure test point would confirm this 20 mbar is preferable but with this u would probably get ignition even down to 14 mbar even if it just roles out then dies

I suggest you go back to the source of the problem, your boiler was working before the meter exchange so call your gas supply customer support line and advise them you have a problem and intend calling in a private contractor at their expence however you are prepared to give them one last chance to send a competant person to fix the boiler within a reasonable time.

Thats where you local friendly neighborhood plumber knocks spots off these large outfits.
If it were my customer I would be there ASAP but because these folk pay homeserve or whoever they have to put up with this rubbish.

Get a reliable Plumber.com sounds good to me

I used to work for OnStream and most of them only have CCN1 & MET1 so are not allowed to work on appliances. I have all tickets but was told I was not to work on appliances either.

I had many occasions where pilots wouldn't relight (faulty piezo or thermocouple) and was told by OnStream not to work on the appliance in any way. The fault was classed as existing, which technically it was, but try explaining that to a vunerable customer on a cold day. I had to say not my fault, call a gsr plumber.
Back to the topic, if the meterworker turned down the heating on a combi to change the meter rather than turning it off, customer uses hot tap, gas pipe empty and can take many resets to get the gas through, especially on a long run. He would definately have purged but I bet he used the hob, nice and easy. He should have done visual check of appliances (flue, flame pic, Ventilation) and taken a working pressure. If the boiler is the most downstream point he should have cracked a union open and purged there.

surely the fan isnt in the gas line the fan only supplies air to the venturi/ mix tube where the gas is entrained into the burner

After all this time and so many resets there is no way that it is a purging problem.
The only way forward IMHO is to get the meter fitters back with a technical bod.
Previous experience has proved to me that a major lottery win is more likely.
Possibly a call to Gas Safe or Trading standards may help. But realistically getting a heating engineer in to get the boiler working and providing a report would seem the best option right now.

Gas Safe and trading standards will not be interested.
Meter fitters have a responsibility to do the job correctly but they are not responsible for appliances that will not relight. If they start taking it apart to fix or investigate they are then assuming responsibility for whatever may be causing it. That won't happen so after a reasonable time trying they will switch it off and tell the customer /householder to get someone in and if they don't know anyone they advise contacting gas safe for names of local firms. All std documented procedure.
These things happen and are usually unrelated to any work carried out.
If it is found to be due to something caused by the work they done, they will reimburse the costs and inconvenience.

The Ideal boiler guy has got the boiler going although has disconnected the fan. When they replace the fan, hopefully next week, I will get a report of the problem and send it to the two organisations - that is a great idea! Thanks

How has he got the boiler going without the fan ?? Boiler will-not work if fan not working !! :disguise:

Thanks JTS, maybe I assumed he had disconnected it, as he said that it was the problem and needed replacing. He said he thought it was the problem because it was so noisy - although in my opinion it doesn't sound any different to normal - it has always been very noisy, in my limited experience of living in about 4 different houses over the years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
I get 1.65mB drop plus fittings for 30m in...
Replies
Views
D
Cadet will cap the gas due to the smell of gas...
Replies
Views
Have you now started using the heating or...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone - Recently bought a house which is...
Replies
Views
Back