new pump on hot water | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new pump on hot water in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

MP plumb

is there any thing out there that works like a floor standing booster pump for hot water that is just like a heating pump that i can install as an in-line pump off of a hot water cylinder?
something that i can run off/with a cable from a cylinder stat as long as it spurred?

Sorry. But I'm not really getting where you want to go with this

i dont want to run a booser pump off a cylinder stat. i want a pump, like, e.g a grundfos heating pump, on a hot water cylinder.

the electrical side of things was another question.... i know the cylinder emmersion should have its own feed but ive been told recently that if the cable and amp is big enough, i can spur off of it.

a heating system has a in-line, eg, 15-50 pump that pumps the heating water circuit round.... is there a hot water pump that does the same, pumps the water... like a booster pump, but not one like a santandar that needs to be sat on the floor.

Did you want to circulate the water so that all outlets get hot instantly when you open the taps.

Then yes. You can get a bronze pump.

It's called a 15/50B

Here you go

5ad515ed-9ea4-346e.jpg

no, im not being clear.... i dont know how else to explain it. i want a hot water pump but i dont want it to be a floor standing pump. is there not an in line pump that i can put on the hot water draw off from the cylinder that will boost it?

maybe i need to explain the problem. the tank is in the loft of a bunglow. the cylinder is beneath it on the ground floor. some years ago some one run the hot water off the cylinder back up into the loft and along the joists of the loft, then back down to feed a bathroom some meters away. this is a gravity fed system, so the water has not much flow and no pressure at all because the pipe (which runs in the loft to feed the bathroom) is only inch's below the cold tank.

does this help?

im not explaining it well, i know!

These are terrific wee pumps, not too powerful, but enough to boost the pressure up to a bar and great for showers. They are not circulation pumps. Click on the link Claire and you'll find the Grundfos model name and number and you can download all the info for it from the Grundfos web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody expensive though!!

Are you sure there isn't an airlock in the up and over pipe claireplumb? That would cause flow issues otherwise the head of water is from the tap outlet to the header water level, if that makes sense, gravity does the rest bit like a syphon yeh:)

Last edited by a moderator:
diamond gas.....

yes there is an issue with air locks, but the reason there are air locks is because of the way the pipes are fed, dwon to the cylinder from the CWS, then back up to the CWS, pretty much at the same level then back down to the bathroom. they have had air lockd for years. this isnt the problem at the moment, it is the flow, as there is no head of water. i will prob put an AAV just past the vertical of the hot draw off in the loft, but want to fix the first problem!

diamond gas.....

yes there is an issue with air locks, but the reason there are air locks is because of the way the pipes are fed, dwon to the cylinder from the CWS, then back up to the CWS, pretty much at the same level then back down to the bathroom. they have had air lockd for years. this isnt the problem at the moment, it is the flow, as there is no head of water. i will prob put an AAV just past the vertical of the hot draw off in the loft, but want to fix the first problem!

Maybe worth considering a blockage/restriction is their issue claireplumb. A booster pump may not be of benefit unless it's an airlock IMO :)

that very possible but the way the pipes are laid out, it seems to me it is just poor height from the cold water storage.

the pipes go straight up from the cylinder, accross the roof space, an inch or so below the cold watwer storage, then back down to the bathroom, which means there is basically no head on the water?... sooooooo even though the pipes are old, and may well be corroded, putting a pump in will certainly help the problem for a few years?

Although the wee Grundfos pumps are excellent, beware that they don't like a lot of sediment and scale that may be present in the old pipe work you're describing. Flush it out well first.

that very possible but the way the pipes are laid out, it seems to me it is just poor height from the cold water storage.

the pipes go straight up from the cylinder, accross the roof space, an inch or so below the cold watwer storage, then back down to the bathroom, which means there is basically no head on the water?... sooooooo even though the pipes are old, and may well be corroded, putting a pump in will certainly help the problem for a few years?

You measure the head from the header water level to the tap outlet claireplumb it doesn't matter what path the pipes take :)

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There are 2 ways to know a pump has failed. 1/...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A very rough calculation maybe using a UPS 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
hi have been a plumber for 50 years this month...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That’s good, we’ll persevered! Let us know...
Replies
Views
Back