New regular boiler (heat only) in a sealed system?? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New regular boiler (heat only) in a sealed system?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler (has no internal pump). So at least in theory I have been running with the "wrong" boiler for 11 years...??
I have asked for quotes from 2 local plumbers and initially they both recommended to replaced like for like and stay with the same boiler.
This is a large house mainly with UFH (3 manifolds and 3 small rads upstairs).

Just heard from one of them that he now realised I need a "system" boiler and therefore I should fit an ecoTEC plus 6 (not 4!)

Question(s):
Can I install an "open vent" boiler in a sealed system without invalidating new boiler warranty?

If I can not and it must be defined as a "system" boiler, what do I do with the exsiting CH pump (in airing cupboard)?
Can the existing pump be made to work with the internal pump of the system-boiler?

Is there a risk the 2 pumps will create too much pressure in new boiler?

Thanks in advance!

Open vented boilers can be fitted on either a open vent eg gravity system or a sealed system eg with a red expansion vessel etc better in my opinion as they don’t use expensive and manufacture only components eg pump, expansion vessels and diverters

You would have to remove the external pump

Stick with heat only. You most probably still require an additional expansion vessel due to system volume if its got underfloor heating and you wouldn't gain anything by conversion to a system boiler apart from more things to go wrong.

Similar plumbing topics

Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks for the reply, that did cross my...
Replies
Views
Back