new washing machine, unable to attach waste pipe | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new washing machine, unable to attach waste pipe in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

D

Deleted member 99918

got a new washing maching delivered this morning (old one taken away).
all was going well with the installation, until i went to connect up the water waste pipe.

the connector that is on the drain u-bend appears to be 23.5mm, but the waste pipe on the washing machine looks like 21mm.
there is absolutely no way that the pipe will fit the connector, and we've tried but all it's doing is starting to affect the pipe so we stopped.

looking around the usual screwfix/b&q etc they all seem to stock the exact same connector that we already have (23.5mm).

how are we supposed to connect up the waste pipe to the drain?

photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_122609.jpg
    IMG_20200411_122609.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20200411_122635.jpg
    IMG_20200411_122635.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200411_122657.jpg
    IMG_20200411_122657.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 60
Is 21mm the internal or external diameter of your pipe?
I have in the past used a short section of 22mm copper tube and 2 jubilee clips to join two w/m hoses together and it was a tight fit but went on without needing to be heated up. The hose then attached to a standard spigot.
If the internal diameter is 21mm (ish) then it's probably a standard size hose and it's the spigot you have which is an unusual size.
Saying that though, your spigot looks like it may be McAlpine which is a very good brand, They are made for 3/4'' waste pipes(about 21mm) and also have the ability to take a larger waste pipe, but not a smaller one.
MA15.png

Is 21mm the internal or external diameter of your pipe?
I have in the past used a short section of 22mm copper tube and 2 jubilee clips to join two w/m hoses together and it was a tight fit but went on without needing to be heated up. The hose then attached to a standard spigot.
If the internal diameter is 21mm (ish) then it's probably a standard size hose and it's the spigot you have which is an unusual size.
Saying that though, your spigot looks like it may be McAlpine which is a very good brand, They are made for 3/4'' waste pipes(about 21mm) and also have the ability to take a larger waste pipe, but not a smaller one.
View attachment 43289

I hadn't gone to page 2 of this thread when I replied, disregard the above in this case...

Yeah, thinking the guy was blinkered and wasn`t listening, then finally the penny dropped.
Really annoys me when we give time & help freely and not one thanks. Sometimes I wonder why we bother tbh.

It took me a while to figure out they were trying to shove the spigot all the way past the rubber end and into the actual pipe and they were annoyed it wouldn't fit in there. There was nothing wrong with any of the parts, they just needed a jubilee clip! (or improvised securing method.)

What a frustrating read that was!

It took me a while to figure out they were trying to shove the spigot all the way past the rubber end and into the actual pipe and they were annoyed it wouldn't fit in there. There was nothing wrong with any of the parts, they just needed a jubilee clip! (or improvised securing method.)

Agree, you couldn't make it up, or could you?
Simular thread going on re a tap but I'm not getting involved in that one.

also no thank you for helping either, really annoys me

that's what i'm trying to attach it to, but the pipe is 21mm and the spigot (i assume you mean the plastic connector) is 23.5mm.

i've forced it and forced it but there is no way it is going to attach, it was starting to damage the internal pipe due to the force being applied.
I just had this problem. I tried hot water and that didn't help. I then used a pipe wrench to flatten the ribs on the inside off the flexible pipe for a distance of about 3/4" and it fitted easily. I used a jubilee clip of course

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
If you go and put your hose in the top like...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To add to this, ensure the discharge hose...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sorry, yes you did. In fact I used the...
Replies
Views
Back