Newb desparate for help with soldering copper | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Newb desparate for help with soldering copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one here came out good. Spread into the space on it's own.
327g71izg5xx.jpg
no slop, no need to wipe. I usually wipe. ;)

But this one, right after applying flux then heating it, look how nasty it gets. Haven't attempted to apply solder on top of that. Doesn't look like it'd stick no?
67zy4yg3z5ph.jpg

If you are using resin cored electrical solder then you will never get a good joint with copper. You need an acid flux and a lead based solder that it good for drinking water. I will find a link for how to do this correctly. Secondly if there is ANY WATER AT ALL in the pipe and the pipe is sealed it will turn to steam and you will blow the solder out of the joint before it sets
Solder for drinking water is predominantly tin and deffinately no lead.

I thought you had to legally be qualified in the US to plumb, holding qualifications?

Almost done. No leaks...

2bs8u4vavuvp.jpg
except for...
1yyqszzrykl1.jpg

That meddling little pvc elbow. I read not to tighten too much or use too much Teflon tape. So I don't know, but apparently I got the soldering down. Not sure how, just kept working on it. It is a bit of an art/skill. I'm guessing tho I made a schoolboy error letting that pvc leak happen after soldering the last connection at top. Not sure if there are ways to test for leaks beforehand that you guys normally perform but the pvc fix should be easier than most of this job. Hand tighten that right? Just Teflon tape?

When soldering, you can't overheat a joint. I'll get stick for this but I have proof ;)

Yes you can. Heating copper pipe and then rapid quenching will make the copper soft as butter. Try this. Heat copper pipe to cherry red the quench in cold water. Now try to bend. It be bends like rubber. Now beat with a hammer. Now try and bend. Copper work hardens.

sod it use plastic lol.

btw, i would prefer using plasic until after it comes out out of the ground!!

think the op,s basic issue is to much heat and trying to solder with water in the pipework,basic errors,needs to practice on some scrap copper IMHO,whats that plastic solvent welded stuff in the floor? with blue gunk

think the op,s basic issue is to much heat and trying to solder with water in the pipework,basic errors,needs to practice on some scrap copper IMHO,whats that plastic solvent welded stuff in the floor? with blue gunk
American solvent glue has colour in it so you can see where it has been applied. The pipe is some kind of pressurized solvent weld water supply service. Like a modern durapipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Croft, I'm taking your advice and getting the...
Replies
Views
Hi. I use the back of a junior blade still in...
Replies
Views
Back