No Hot Water - Gravity Fed System | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No Hot Water - Gravity Fed System in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

The system : S plan with the hot water cylinder in the loft and the F&E tank about two feet (max) above the cylinder. The cold feed from the F&E tank and the cylinder flow/return disappear into the eaves of the roof (inaccessible), run down some boxwork in the first floor hall and then re-appear under the hall floor together with the two diverter valves and the circulation pump. The boiler is a Rayburn located in the kitchen.

I replaced the hot water zone valve (head and body) on a gravity fed system last week but, despite all attempts, I've been unable to get the hot water circuit working again. I part drained the system (first floor only), replaced the valve body, then refilled the system without a problem. I went up into the loft to check that there was water at the cylinder flow & return, but unfortunately not ! I therefore loosened the Auto air vent connected to the flow to the cylinder, got quite a bit of air and then finally, after running the heating/hot water for a few minutes I had water at the air vent. However, when I loosened the nut at the flow connection on the cylinder boss/flange there was no water ???? Weird ! I assumed the system just needed a little "run" time to dispel any air locks and so installed a new auto air vent at the cylinder just in case the old one was stuck/jammed. The heating was working fine and the boiler wasn't locking out.

I told the customer to run the heating/hot water for a few hours/days and this should resolve the problem. The customer (very relaxed and laid back) said fine and today (a week later and after me thinking all must be ok), texted me to say they still had no hot water ???

For reference, I installed a new bathroom radiator on the same system about six months ago and again had to partially drain the system but had no problem restoring the hot water circuit.

I'm going back next week to have another go but I'm running out of idea's as to how to get the hot water circuit back again. There are a couple of air vents under the hall floor and but have water, the pump has water, the heating works, theres water at the cylinder air vent but (last time I looked) not at the cylinder ???

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.

It was hard for me to get what your saying. So are you saying you changed the motorised valve for the hot water/ so the coil one yet your not getting hot water out the cylinder but you've got hot water to the valve

I had to part drain down the system in order to change the hot water zone valve body only (not actuator head). On refilling the system, I could not get the hot water circuit back again due to either an airlock or blockage. Despite several attempts to rectify it, the hot circuit is still not working !

I had to part drain down the system in order to change the hot water zone valve body only (not actuator head). On refilling the system, I could not get the hot water circuit back again due to either an airlock or blockage. Despite several attempts to rectify it, the hot circuit is still not working !

So only cold water out of the hot tap? And is there hot water on the flow to the coil up to the motorised valve? If so have you tried manually opening the valve

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You’re a genius, thank you! Held my thumb over...
Replies
Views
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Morning, he took it out from where it was...
Replies
Views
Back