No separate feeder tank for central heating | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No separate feeder tank for central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gpearson

We have a very old oil boiler that doesn't have its own feeder tank so we can't put in any chemicals to clean the central heating system, is there anything we can do to help sludge building up? we can't find where the central heating system is picking up its cold water supply to fit its own feeder tank, radaitors are full of sludge!!! help

unless its a sealed system which i doubt if its that old there has to be a feed tank some where i would have thought cant take it from the hot water feed because u would have to have a vent and u wouldnt wanna wash ur face with rad water to be fair

sounds like a primatic definitely dont put cleaner in it.

If its a really old system you could have a primatic cylinder or maybe an indirect combined cylinder. Can you take a pic & post it up.

Hot water seems to feed into the cold water tank in the loft!!! gets a lot of red sludge in the bottom of the cold water tank too, think some bodge job by previous owners. diffficult to work out the way they have rigged it up!!

is there a little bleed nipple on the side of hot water cylinder?

Have you got 2 pipes coming from the side of your cylinder, probably 28mm & have you got 4 pipes coming from the boiler?

pic of what, sorry you talking to amateur, very confusing just know that its all connected up wrong somehow and don't know where to begin to find out how it should go!!! Also the pump is on the return is that right??? its a worcester danesmoor 15/19

just because its old and you are confused foesnt mean its wrong.

It's a sealed central heating system you have so there's no feed and expansion tank.

So ... you have to empty a radiator and put in the cleaning stuff that way. You need to close the lockshield valve and thermostatic radiator valve on one radiator. Then open bleed valve and catch the water until it stops. Then open a bottom nut and empty around 2 litres of water and do up nut again. Then remove the blank piece opposite the bleed valve. Then pour in cleaner with a funnel and other things to stop it spilling everywhere. Then replace blank piece. Then open TRV and close bleed valve when radiator is full. Then open lockshield.

Piece of cake!!!

I wish!!

not necessarily sealed, its uncommon to have sealed heating and in direct cold and hot

I thought Worcester Danesmoor were for sealed heating systems. Ooops!

Worcester danesmoor is a sealed system boiler, you should be able to fill the system up from a tap within the boiler area, take off the boiler front cover & there will be a pressure gague.

when you say change it what does that entail??? yes it does sound like the central heating is contaminating the hot water???

I thought Worcester Danesmoor were for sealed heating systems. Ooops!

oh maybe it is, not sure why they wud have indirect hot and cold? unless they didnt want a unvented cylinder? why not get a combi then? or was it a partial upgrade? who knows?

can you expalin a bit more, talking to a novice here,is what am i filling up !!!

oh maybe it is, not sure why they wud have indirect hot and cold? unless they didnt want a unvented cylinder? why not get a combi then? or was it a partial upgrade? who knows?

Roll on Monday morning when we'll be in the thick of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Is the newboiler a heat only boiler with a...
Replies
Views
it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
L
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help...
Replies
Views
Back