No switched live to boiler? | Boilers | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss No switched live to boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

My advice is to stop meddling and pay somebody .
I started 'meddling' because I paid somebody who fed two live feeds into the wiring centre that were not isolated by the boiler switch, left the messiest of wiring centres and did not include a switched live to the boiler. I appreciate the advice not to take risks with electricity, but I do find it very helpful to understand what is going on, even if I then ask somebody to implement. Thanks for all the help so far!

Just wanted to report that things are now working fine. I rewired everything, adding another neutral and another earth connector block linked to the existing ones, so that no wires are doubled up on any earth or neutral connector. All wire ends are now terminated in isolated ferrules. I tightened all connections carefully. I checked for the correct signal on the switched live with a multimeter, before connecting switched live to the boiler.

The problem on the last step must have had to do with a poor connection. I read up a lot on possible issues, but I simply cannot explain my scenario: It all worked fine, I then did nothing else than adding a new boiler cable with switched live included, it started off fine until suddenly all components stopped. There was no issue with the power supply from the mains. Same scenario again twice after - starting up fine then switching off all components. Eventually, even removing the boiler live did not fix it. I ended up removing the boiler cables altogether, and then connected them again without the switched live. I do not think however that the addition of the switched live was in any way relevant, as it works fine now in exactly the same wiring constellation.

If anybody has any further input on what kind of poor connection and scenario could have caused this failure, it would certainly make me feel much better, and might help others who may read this thread in the future!

Thanks again for all the advice. Fingers crossed, but it looks as if I now have a safer set-up, with no more external live feeds that are not isolated by the boiler switch coming into the wiring centre from programmer and UFH controller, plus the addition of wireless switching of all components!

Similar plumbing topics

thanks.... yes, so my diagram and wording is...
2 3
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the input on this, much...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
All sorted. It was a dodgy microswitch in the...
Replies
Views
Back