no work for some cos we give it away for free on www.ukplumbersforum.co.uk | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss no work for some cos we give it away for free on www.ukplumbersforum.co.uk in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

quite possibly lee. i've just had a read of the thread and can see where you're coming from, flamesafe has probably just completed his course and been told he's now qualified to do anything without further training and shadowing of an experienced engineer!

I think I've commented on over advice to numpties before now.

I don't believe the OP is GSR because part of the basic concept of our trade is investigation.
Asking broad questions on a forum don't count as that IMO.

why do people keep doing this.

Has any thought been given to the central heating and gas safe forum being strictly gas safe engineers only .

as it is i only come on here to chat with other plumbers/gas engineers not joe public nowt against joe public but as the web site name suggest it's a forum for plumbers or people training to be a plumber.

sounds a bit harsh but i dont mean it to be.

.....and it's not just gas related topics that you should be getting your knickers in a twist over, every free step by step guide on how to do ANYTHING plumbing related is equally as bad. Gas is not the be all and end all of plumbing, in fact anyone can become GSR nowadays.

Not everyone on here is interested in gas, and I for one am only interested in bathrooms, wetrooms and similar plumbing related topics but nobody seems to bothered about describing how to change a syphon etc. to some muppet whose come on here only to save a few bob and learn how to do it himself. That's potentially doing me or some plumber out of work, not just fecking gas!!!

Gas, gas, gas, it seems is almighty and plumbing is a lowly second on here. It's not. The work and skill I put into a bathroom or wetroom took me years to get to where I am now and I doubt if any gas engineers could even come close.

Sick of saying this but if someone asks for free advice, ask the poster what area he/she is from and then EVERYONE in his area should be offering to pop round and do the job and not just blindly give free advice. Half the forum are complaining that they have no work, we're our own worst enemies at time.

Rant over.

hard day at the office fella ?
No, it seems on here that every other person has gas something in their name and they get all hot and bothered about giving gas related advice. There is far more to plumbing than just gas, and any freebie to do with anything plumbing related given to some muppet who won't pay for a plumber is not on, that's my point.

I feel for you Sys, you may be the best at what you do but anyone who shops at B&Q can make a passable effort at plumbing/tiling/heating/electrics.
None of these trades are restricted like gas is and even our own legislation is a joke.

i think most persons views are on the doing of gas work been more dangerous fella
Dangerous? Went to remove an old electric shower and the supply cable was 2.5mm twin and earth and the "pull switch" was a light socket switch sitting under the bath and constantly on. The cables were black and I think that young family were very lucky not to have had a major electrical fire. I see dangerous stuff every other day and I think it's time that the whole plumbing industry was regulated just like gas has become and maybe that will stop some of the diy'ers going to B&Q and attempting to install stuff that is dangerous and that they don't have a clue about.

Incedentally, I view some novice installing a shower in an upstairs flat every bit as dangerous as said novice installing a gas cooker, they can easily start a fire with water pouring through a ceiling into a electrical component.

Hmm! DIY earns the economy perhaps £8 Billion. Does gas fitting contribute as much? Shall we stop talking to everybody in case they take business away from the trade? Seems many think so. The medieval Guilds made the same arguments as you hear on here, but it is 2012 not 1220.

Gas is more dangerous. I don't bang on about being gas gas gas, I comment on everything from syphons to accumalators. I think the reason people are hot on gas advice to jo public is that a badly installed toilet never killed anyone. It doesn't mean people don't value your advice, knowledge and skills Sys'3.

I do a fair amount of bathrooms by the way, and haven't been gas safe registered half as long as people like Tamz. Its not the be all and end all. Point taken.

Hmm! DIY earns the economy perhaps £8 Billion.
That's it in a nutshell. Money talks and is far more important than some poor professionals livelihood. It is 2012, but the industry is going nowhere, not into the future., so it may as well be 1220, at least the muppets got rotten vegies chucked at them in the stocks.

All plumbing work can kill if done incorrectly. How many outside taps are fitted without proper backflow prevention? Are people even aware that you're supposed to notify the water undertaking before fitting one? I'm sure most of us have seen the showers fitted next to toilets for bottom washing with no or inadequate backflow prevention. How about the numerous scalding incidents every year?

With the headlines in Edinburgh at the moment Legionella prevention should be a hot topic at the moment but how many people are aware that you can get it from domestic plumbing as well as commercial cooling towers.

Unfortunately gas is the only area which has any effective form of policing so it's the obvious one that people shout about.

Dangerous? Went to remove an old electric shower and the supply cable was 2.5mm twin and earth and the "pull switch" was a light socket switch sitting under the bath and constantly on. The cables were black and I think that young family were very lucky not to have had a major electrical fire. I see dangerous stuff every other day and I think it's time that the whole plumbing industry was regulated just like gas has become and maybe that will stop some of the diy'ers going to B&Q and attempting to install stuff that is dangerous and that they don't have a clue about.

Incedentally, I view some novice installing a shower in an upstairs flat every bit as dangerous as said novice installing a gas cooker, they can easily start a fire with water pouring through a ceiling into a electrical component.

When gas kills, it's often several people at once. Whether its an explosion, or carbon monoxide. We read about it in our magazine every month. I'm sorry you feel so peeved about this, but Gas is more dangerous than bathrooms, and electrics. Purely because when it kills, it often kills in numbers. I mean no disrespect and appreciate your comments mate. I just don't agree with em.

Have a look at [DLMURL="http://www.hse.gov.uk/education/statistics.htm"]Risk education - Statistics[/DLMURL]

There's some interesting statistics there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Legionella will be big news for a few days then forgotten same as the GSR that bodged a flue in Somerset that killed that girl.

Discussing backflow prevention and cross contamination is nonsense, it rarely if ever happens except in the overly fertile mind of the HSE.

Any amount of deaths, whether one or a dozen, caused by negligence is not acceptable. Plumbing should be regulated by a governing body just as gas is. I agree that the Gsr is far from perfect but it's designed to stop dangerous practices and promote skilled tradesmen while plumbing has nothing.

Oh come on!! This is silly. Toilets don't generally hurt people. Unless they have an accident. You can fall off the kerb and kill yourself. It must happen.

My point was that gas is rightly seen as more important as a safety issue as a badly installed boiler,fire,cooker is much more serious than a badly installed shower,bath,toilet. You know I'm right, so what's the point in argueing it?

I think plumbing should be regulated. But what does that mean in real terms. DO you fancy going back to school System3 because that's what it would amount to. back to school for thousands of properly skilled tradesmen. To do some crap competancy course to prove their knowledge of pointless facts and figures.

.....and it's not just gas related topics that you should be getting your knickers in a twist over, every free step by step guide on how to do ANYTHING plumbing related is equally as bad. Gas is not the be all and end all of plumbing, in fact anyone can become GSR nowadays.

Not everyone on here is interested in gas, and I for one am only interested in bathrooms, wetrooms and similar plumbing related topics but nobody seems to bothered about describing how to change a syphon etc. to some muppet whose come on here only to save a few bob and learn how to do it himself. That's potentially doing me or some plumber out of work, not just fecking gas!!!

Gas, gas, gas, it seems is almighty and plumbing is a lowly second on here. It's not. The work and skill I put into a bathroom or wetroom took me years to get to where I am now and I doubt if any gas engineers could even come close.

Sick of saying this but if someone asks for free advice, ask the poster what area he/she is from and then EVERYONE in his area should be offering to pop round and do the job and not just blindly give free advice. Half the forum are complaining that they have no work, we're our own worst enemies at time.

Rant over.

I completely understand where you are coming from But gas is so much more dangerous than water.

There is so many people who come on this site for a reason (Mine to see if anybody had the Gledhill gulfstream A class fault codes) But it is so hard to say which ones are GSR or not. Surely if they are GSR then they should know some of the basic questions being asked. But as I have said in many many posts the ACS tests are far too easy which basically enables any muppet to pass and does not really teach you to much, If you can read you WILL pass it.

The only way to stop it is to make all GSR register their number before they can post their question like what it is to join the Plumbers Arms/ GSR forums. But then what will happen they will go else where and get really bad advice from the likes of everybodies favorite (M.Yoshi or something like that) Who has read certain bits of advice and now thinks they are an expert.

Similar plumbing topics

You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Tbh it’s a must for horizontal cylinders as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Update. Here’s the finished bathroom I’m...
Replies
Views
Back