Noises from both fire and central heating | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Noises from both fire and central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a new glass-fronted gas fire installed a few months ago, not long after I moved into my bungalow. About half an hour after turning the fire on I hear a loud pop or crack coming from the wall where the fire is. I hear this roughly once every half an hour. I also hear this noise a couple of hours after turning the fire off. I also hear this sound when I turn the central heating on, but not from the radiator which is on the opposite wall, but from the same wall where the fire is. I don't hear a thing when the boiler is set to hot water only. The central heating was already installed, and the boiler was new. I didn't notice any noise from the heating until the fire was installed. I did call the fire installer who said sometimes the plastic on the fire expands and makes a noise, but I'm hearing a loud crack from the wall even when I have only the central heating on and not the fire. I will call the fire installer back, but can anyone give me any advice in the meantime as to what might be happening. Has anyone heard of anything similar?

Could be any number of things and would need careful investigation of where the noise exactly comes from.
I would hazard a guess and say it could be something to do with the pumped pipes from fire being too tight to something - wood or plasterboard for example, and causing a crack noise when heat to rads is put on, or when it cools.

Could be any number of things and would need careful investigation of where the noise exactly comes from.
I would hazard a guess and say it could be something to do with the pumped pipes from fire being too tight to something - wood or plasterboard for example, and causing a crack noise when heat to rads is put on, or when it cools.
Thanks. I thought it might be something to do with pipes expanding and contracting. I'm hoping the fitter might suggest something to cushion the noise if it is this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Back