Nothing to shout about but engineer failed ReACS | Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Nothing to shout about but engineer failed ReACS in the Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris watkins

Esteemed
Plumber
Now this is a delicate post & I did think twice, it is never nice to see a fellow engineer loose his gas ticket & possible his job, as a result but I remembered all the posting a while ago about how no one ever fails the Gas Re Assessment (CCN1) well it is not true, they did & it was not nice, he was not happy but from what I saw he did except that he just did not know enough (just did boiler install). From what I heard, what was worse was that the centre & assessor had originally trained the guy !!
Just thought I would let you lot know.

Do you teach chris?

Now this is a delicate post & I did think twice, it is never nice to see a fellow engineer loose his gas ticket & possible his job, as a result but I remembered all the posting a while ago about how no one ever fails the Gas Re Assessment (CCN1) well it is not true, they did & it was not nice, he was not happy but from what I saw he did except that he just did not know enough (just did boiler install). From what I heard, what was worse was that the centre & assessor had originally trained the guy !!

I feel for the bloke, but just because he only does installs is no excuse. Installers have just as much responsibility as a service and repair guy like myself. I can't stand installers that don't know the rules and say "I'm and installer"

like I say i feel for the bloke but if you ain't good enough you ain't good enough. There's no way I'd let someone service my boiler who I though didint know their job. I know it may sound harsh what I'm saying but if you don't know the rules of the job then you shouldn't be doing it.

To be fair, he must have been terrible for them to fail him!

I feel for the bloke, but just because he only does installs is no excuse. Installers have just as much responsibility as a service and repair guy like myself. I can't stand installers that don't know the rules and say "I'm and installer"

like I say i feel for the bloke but if you ain't good enough you ain't good enough. There's no way I'd let someone service my boiler who I though didint know their job. I know it may sound harsh what I'm saying but if you don't know the rules of the job then you shouldn't be doing it.
This seems to be the problem Tom the gas ticket allows you to do all types of work so he may only be installing today but next week he could be as you say chancing his arm servicing an O/F back boiler or the likes.

just followed 2 so called gsr's 1 left cover of boiler and fga point open. 450 ppm co in kitchen !! and other been doin llsc on boiler with 15 mm pipework and 12 Mbar working, fooking ******s

Chris has I have posted in another thread, a local coucil guy failed his G3 the week before I did mine, he was then rebooked after training to be on my course, he rang in sick!

A couple of years before a guy failed his CCN1, he could not inform the instructor the difference between standing and working pressure, along with numerous other things, no TCB when removing a meter, not capping the meter off and soldering near the outlet I could go on......

Sad but you are there to prove your competence wherever we like it or not....I do not costs me money and time off, but you have to pay to play end of!

Chris, I have mentioned the no fail on re-assess before, if I remember it was actually an official document raised to question the whole assessment process. No idea where or how I found it though. I will have a dig around and see of I can find it again.

As for the chap failing, providing it wasn't just because someone was in the wrong mood (the assessor) I say great! It's nice to think that it is possible to fail. He's only got himself to blame, installer or not. I was installing for 7 years and managed the re-assessment so I have no sympathy for the bloke whatsoever, he obviously wasn't doing his job right for the last 5 years.

I ,eft the sample point off my own boiler last year after going through some basics with a new starter . Mrs complaining of headaches etc for a few days . Think I posed on it DOHHHHH!!!!!

Chris has I have posted in another thread, a local coucil guy failed his G3 the week before I did mine, he was then rebooked after training to be on my course, he rang in sick!

A couple of years before a guy failed his CCN1, he could not inform the instructor the difference between standing and working pressure, along with numerous other things, no TCB when removing a meter, not capping the meter off and soldering near the outlet I could go on......

Sad but you are there to prove your competence wherever we like it or not....I do not costs me money and time off, but you have to pay to play end of!

i remember working with an old bloke when I was an apprentice, who was soldering the first elbow onto a meter union still connected up, the pipe was open ended about a foot away. When someone questioned him about it, he was literally unaware of the potential outcome. Mind you he passed through the old ACOP's which says a lot. It changed just before I started but from what I heard it was a group of people sat around a desk and if 1 person knew the answers then everyone passed.

I ,eft the sample point off my own boiler last year after going through some basics with a new starter . Mrs complaining of headaches etc for a few days . Think I posed on it DOHHHHH!!!!!

LMAO.......naughty boy, that ones in the cheap divorce book

I failed my first time, everything was spot on except I'd missed the training day where we're supposed to have covered the medium pressure regulator. When I was asked by the assessor to carry out a tightness on one I was like - 'What is it? Never seen it before.'

I think it was another month or so before I could take it again. All because I missed 1 day of training.

i remember working with an old bloke when I was an apprentice, who was soldering the first elbow onto a meter union still connected up, the pipe was open ended about a foot away. When someone questioned him about it, he was literally unaware of the potential outcome. Mind you he passed through the old ACOP's which says a lot. It changed just before I started but from what I heard it was a group of people sat around a desk and if 1 person knew the answers then everyone passed.

Once you have literally seen one blow up and tear the 2 sections of a U6 apart exposing the 4 meter compartments all over a workshop you tend to remember to either remove it or disc off! Lol and no it was not me, the guy was very lucky no injuries apart from his pride and shock!

Chris, I have mentioned the no fail on re-assess before, if I remember it was actually an official document raised to question the whole assessment process. No idea where or how I found it though. I will have a dig around and see of I can find it again.

As for the chap failing, providing it wasn't just because someone was in the wrong mood (the assessor) I say great! It's nice to think that it is possible to fail. He's only got himself to blame, installer or not. I was installing for 7 years and managed the re-assessment so I have no sympathy for the bloke whatsoever, he obviously wasn't doing his job right for the last 5 years.
From the look of him I would guess this was his first Re- , so to be charitable it might be the old "use it or loose it" done his training & sat the initial soon after, so still all fresh. After 5 years of fitting boilers it is quite a different matter. I think as we get older & have done it a few times it tends to stay in (& having worked on a few O/P boilers etc they are familiar) still as you say you need to know what you need to know.
I was quite heartened to see the standards being upheld but still not nice to see + week off work - training & assessment all wasted.

The bloke who trained me for my city and guilds was ex BG and showed us some horrifying photos of the aftermath. One of them was under the stairs and it had ripped the stair case apart. He then did the coffee tin example where they got a catering coffee tin and filled it with gas and lit it through a small hole. Lights off and wait for it to pop, although only the lid shot off it it was a good example as to the principles of what causes the explosion and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
W
Or £50 for an indemnity policy.
Replies
Views
Sounds like he was in too deep. At least he...
Replies
Views
Back