Oil - Bet you didn't know this one!! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter dontknowitall
  • Start date
  • Replies 1
  • Views 120

Discuss Oil - Bet you didn't know this one!! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dontknowitall

Guess what? I phoned OFTEC this morning and it's not illegal to install an oil boiler. I thought it was. Makes you wonder why we spend all these fees if any Tom, Dick and Harry and put one in.

I was phoned last night and asked to commission a new Rayburn.

Got there this morning (after phoning OFTEC) and found it was installed in August and has the usual faults one would expect to find from a non-OFTEC guiser. No sleeves in the oil pipe fittings, a second oil filter hadn't been installed (as required in the installation instructions - and supplied by Aga no less!), an oil leak inside the Rayburn, etc.

It's been running since August without having the pump pressure and air tested and now it needs a service before I can commission it. Back again next week when it's been serviced by ... the non-oil, original installer!!!

I queried this non-OFTEC installation and was told that a building inspector from the local council can sign off the installation but will need an OFTEC technician to commission it (with the warranty number being entered on the CD/10.)

And I thought we were reportable to a) OFTEC and b) the local authorities!!

And I thought the reason we pay nearly £1,000 a year (training, registration, 3rd party insurance, FGA, etc) was so that local jobbies couldn't install appliances incorrectly. Where's the come back for breaking the regulations? Nowhere!

Needless to say I've covered my behind to avoid warranty issues, etc.

Any 'competent' person can install as long as they local building authority is notified and inspects it. Which is why there is a space on the cd11 for the cd10 or building notification number. Shame the local building control is clueless about oil. So really why bother with oftec :)

A mate of mine went to commission a warmflow boiler last year. They had installed the flue at high level and used the snorkel off of the rdb burner to connect the boiler flue to the high level flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

F
Yep, sounds like Cornwall to me. lol
Replies
Views
G
Wonder if the boiler engineer rung Worcester...
Replies
Views
MarkOil
M
All we have to do is to "Notify" the...
Replies
Views
Frenzydude
F
A
Lol, I was about to answer too :-) Its...
Replies
Views
Bunker
B
J
Good advice above.
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back