oil boiler training | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss oil boiler training in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a big shame. They were talking about compulsory registration years ago. (Ditto for wet plumbing.)

Just talk though. Probably to encourage us to take more exams and, therefore, pay them more money.

I don't blame the training centres. I was totally satisfied with the training, I just think OFTEC need to stop squeezing people so much.

I felt ripped off, being forced to purchase a 'warranty insurance' which basically means if my work isn't to the current building regulations, and I then fold the business, the customer can claim from the insurance to get it put right.

I think they're missing the point, I've spent a fortune on training, and registration, I have £10million quid of public liability insurance, as well as employers insurance. Don't think I'll be sticking crap installs in.

That will be the domain of the cowboys, who don't generally have warranty insurance, or public liability insurance, or pay tax, or give a damn when it all goes wrong. So what's the point, other than to drip away at decent tradesmen. It really pees me off, and I've generally accepted that running a proper business means everyone wants a slice of the pie.

totally agree after all I feel I install and work to the standards laid down, hold liability insurance and sign off the work as required. Building regs also sign off work and if they get it wrong they arent liable. I have yet to pay any warrantee insurance and wont be doing so its another rip off, they are chasing the wrong people

As I understand it to get OFTEC (oil work) the same level of respect given to gas via legislation / laws etc costs a lot of money lobbying and educating the governments (Ireland and UK).

Any profits made from the books and membership fees are needed to run the organisation to represent us as best they can similar to the trade union (or what they are supposed to do) except the self employed do not qualify as Union members having failed the Brotherhood by going all Capitalist.

Of course I would like to see more results starting with oil companies filling doubtful tanks, I would also like to see the sale of single skin oil tanks banned and more information made available to the consumers about the risks they run using unregistered parties to carry out oil work in a similar way to RGII and Gas Safe, advertising on such a level costs a lot of money which can only be raised by our contributions.

I'm staying with OFTEC for at least another year eagerly watching for progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

W
Or £50 for an indemnity policy.
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all, all new to this breakdown life...
Replies
Views
CJAY40
C
Would agree eliminate possible fuel issues...
Replies
Views
Back