oil burner has beaten me for the first time and am annoyed | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss oil burner has beaten me for the first time and am annoyed in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ar22

As usual its a friends boiler so he thinks Im a bluffer

Its an old boiler that is not identifiable but it is fitted with a monoflame minor burner

went to see it as it went straight to lock out, identified a seized motor bearing, replaced and she runs like a dream

so we decided to service it while there

chamber was prety clean and had a very slight hint of running rich (very slight)

it was fitted with an 80H 0.6 jet air set at 3

on the presumption that as the boiler was unidentifiable and that it ran well and pretty clean I would refit like for like and set it up better

here the problem started

new jet and it ran very rich (black) air was at 3 and even fully open (8) was still about 6 on the smoke so no good to me, but why is this ? to me the new jet should have leaned it off a bit

pump pressure was 9 bar

I was clutching at straws so reduced pump pressure to 7 bar, this got it down to about 4 on the smoke so still no good to me

took jet out and put in a .55, ran like a dog, could hear it spluttering and misfiring

refitted the 0.6 tried all pump pressures from 7 to 9 bar

boiler sounds sweet but air is still open max and getting about 4 on the smoke so still very unhappy

what my problem, when I started air was set at 3, now I cant get enough

whats the problem ?????????

is it drawing air in the oil side somewhere ?

(jet it a bit stiff on the last few threads but tightens)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Remember there is often a hinged air flap inside the air intake side on minor burners! One screw you remove & the other 2 you just slacken, as it is slotted. Remove plastic cover & there might be an alloy door covering the opening to fan. Either oil it's hinge or remove flap. You are supposed to check this each service. They jam closed often, especially if damp air can get to them & they are not essential & not an air adjuster.

Last edited:
had the air intake off when identifying the seized bearing

this is the Minor with the "collar" type of air adjiuster with red and blue scale 0-8

dont think there is an adjustable flap inside this although there is a small fixed flap that sits at 45degrees in towards the fan but it doesnt move

thanks for the swift reply

Air setting is normally between 1.5 & 3 on a minor one with .6 nozzle. If oil pressure correct then unlikely new nozzle is the cause in this case ( although they can be seriously faulty). So it should be air flap.

what oil pressure do you recomend

I was so browned off I refitted the original jet and I still have my problem

had the air intake off when identifying the seized bearing

this is the Minor with the "collar" type of air adjiuster with red and blue scale 0-8

dont think there is an adjustable flap inside this although there is a small fixed flap that sits at 45degrees in towards the fan but it doesnt move

thanks for the swift reply
Yes, some have that & no door. So burner should be clean burning with pump pressure at 8 or 9 bar & air at 3 to start with. I can only assume nozzle is not sealing right. This would mean oil everywhere, inside boiler. They can be very tight on those burners on threads, as you said. Is it the newer minor burner with the separate diffuser in nose cone? ie not the one piece nose cone? If it is, I hope you put it to proper position. Hope your oil pressure gauge is reading right, although never had one go faulty myself - except one I dropped!

Last edited:
Yes, some have that & no door. So burner should be clean burning with pump pressure at 8 or 9 bar & air at 3 to start with. I can only assume nozzle is not sealing right. This would mean oil everywhere, inside boiler. They can be very tight on those burners on threads, as you said. Is it the newer minor burner with the separate diffuser in nose cone? ie not the one piece nose cone? If it is I hope you put it to proper position.

thanks for your replies
its an old burner (1991) with a single peice blast tube

since I had the blast tube off about 5 times and did notice a very slight dribble of oil around the centralising collar over the jet although nothing excessive

will I ptfe the jet in ?

Might be worth trying a little ptfe, just after threads of nozzle. Done it before myself. There is something strange about those minor burner threads & I notice Danfoss nozzles seem to be tighter on them. Good enough burners though. Hope that sorts it, it sounds likely.

A 1991 burner is fairly old for a minor burner, especially if it is mostly original. Some had 50 watt motors which are weak. I would think people would be better getting a Sterling burner as cheapest long term, providing actual boiler seems good enough. Sum of major parts cost a new burner.

Last edited:
it got a new oil pump last year and a bearing tonight,but runs well (usually)

its an Ulster fry in Lisburn at 10 in the morning then round 2 with the boiler in Moira afterwards

convinced its drawing air so will ptfe new jet and oil pump outlet union and hope for the best

I will get back with my findings

many thanks for your help, I thought I was going mad when at it tonight, but the very tight nozzles did strike me as strange so I hope a sliver of ptfe will cure it

Didn't realise u r an Ulsterman! Best wee place in the world! Nice wee village, Moira too! Good luck 2moro. Hope u get sorted, as minors can be all work. Better that they are changed to a Sterling, but guess people don't have the money always.

All sorted

ptfe on the new jet and normal service resumed

air at 2.5 and 89% efficency so pretty happy

had an issue getting the oil feed line from the pump to seal at the olive but a lot of messing with ptfe sorted it but very frustrating, would you recomend any liqued product for sealing the joints to take over from ptfe ?

many thanks for your replies, they were spot on and saved my day

That wee olive on the end of the pump side of the inlet pipe is a pain to seal. It would be so easy to accidentally block the end of it when using sealant. I have used a little red jointing stuff ( can't remember it's name), similar to stag. Heldite, is good & nice to work with. Other guys may have different choice of sealant. I have used ptfe before. I think you should seal the side of the olive that's not against the fitting in this case.

Last edited:
That wee olive on the end of the pump side of the inlet pipe is a pain to seal. It would be so easy to accidentally block the end of it when using sealant. I have used a little red jointing stuff ( can't remember it's name), similar to stag. Heldite, is good & nice to work with. Other guys may have different choice of sealant. I have used ptfe before. I think you should seal the side of the olive that's not against the fitting in this case.

I have used Rocol in the past (red stuff)

I think i will look into getting some Heldite as recomended

Ptfe on the olive is a nightmare and as you say you can only use it on the pipe side or else I could block the pipe

a tiny amount of liqued stuff on the the taper and left to almost cure should sort some cheeky ones out although I would avoid it if possible

many thanks

" Rocol" is the name, as you said. I think it's a bit better than Stag, but they are both too messy & hard to work with. As SimonG says, Heldite is good, so that's what I currently use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

This thread is over 3 years old but it would...
2 3
Replies
Views
It's part of a service for me, quick check...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
C
You sure its locking out and not going off on...
Replies
Views
Bunker
B
Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back