Oil: Inserts for compression joints in flexible plastic coated copper pipe?? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil: Inserts for compression joints in flexible plastic coated copper pipe?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're not OFTEC you shouldnt be touching oil stuff anyway!

Not really true

Building control can sign off oil lines and tanks

Service and maintenance doesn't require a registration

Commissioning is a lil grey but would agree you should be registered to do this

I know the arguement about competency but I'm not talking abut that

Are they fitting the flexible soft copper tube that comes in reels though?

The regulations regarding inserts have been out longer than 2 yrs, the problem was when they brought them out no one sold them and like everything oftec does it is never very well publicised so no one fitted them. The merchants should not be advising trained engineers or even the public because they are not trained in the regulations. If they advised something that was wrong they could be sued in a civil court.
Oil regulations are not backward enforcible you only have to look at the number of oil tanks that dont comply with current regulations.
Yes compression fittings will eventually leak on soft copper, you will find it wont be a drip but only what we call sweating which is a damp stain. The soft copper pipe under compression by the olive eventually gives up and is compressed to the point that it does not push back against the olive, the use of the insert is to make sure the joint is compressed by the olive onto the insert which will not give and therefore wont weep.
The use of the inserts as I understand it is a british standard, how many merchants know about british standards. It sounds like you have done the best you can and I am sure there are a lot of people out there even qualified oftec engineers by the sound of it who would have done exactly what you have done, I would not be happy if my own oil installation was not done by the book whether I agreed with it or not. All oftec engineers stand to lose their registration if they do not do their job properly and we do get inspections.

Thanks kimbo for putting things in context. Very clearly put and very helpful indeed.

I have a War Office specification document of my Grandads somewhere which states never use soldered joints on fuel lines, so its not new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I see, that, like me, you are a forgetful genius!
Replies
Views
Another vote for copper. All copper tube is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Your over thinking this do as I said the...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the replies and advice, it's...
Replies
Views
Back