Oil Level | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil Level in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oink

Ran tank low. Have added 200 litres but no oil flow getting to burner. What is the best way to draw oil upto the burner (riello) so that I can kickstart this thing.

Ran tank low. Have added 200 litres but no oil flow getting to burner. What is the best way to draw oil upto the burner (riello) so that I can kickstart this thing.

You need to bleed the burner

The bleed valve is circular...so can't turn it....if I unscrew the whole hexagonal protruding screw I would have expected oil to be in there?

Actually, there IS oil getting to burner as I just found out by pulling out the hexagonal screw. So it is locking out just as it is about to ignite..all other start up phases sound as they should.

I usually hit the button on the burner to kick it off then when you hear the "click" pull the photocell so it keeps running, then open the bleed screw until the oil is running clean (no air bubbles), close bleed, insert photocell and away you go....usually!!!

Thanks. Gave that a blast, but still locks out, so begs the question..is the photosensor shot? I get the flame but it locks out just when it should ignite....would it get to that stage of the cycle if the photosensor was not working? It can only be two things now I think...the photosensor or oil starvation....is there a way of bypassing the photosensor....?

I'm tempted to bridge the photosensor with some wire just to eliminate it. Anyone tried this, it works with the flow switch?

how low did you you run it? have you checked / cleaned the oil filter as this could be choked up with crud!! would give the impression of oil at the burner when no demand but could lead to stavation on demand! hope this helps.

Haven't checked the filter yet, there is a tiger loop in the system though, would there be enough oil there to ignite the burner?

Have a look, the bowl is transparent so you'll see the oil level.....unless its an internal one, then you wont.

There appears to be oil in there.....going back to my original thought can I bridge the photosensor to rule it out. I am wondering what could go wrong with these as there doesn't appear to be much to them. How would they fail?

The way to check the photocell is simple, disconnect it from the control box(two wires) then start the burner, it should then start up and ignite and then after a few seconds go to lockout. If a photocell on these fail it usually just keeps running without igniting.

You cant bridge out a photocell as it works in two stages, first it senses darkness - allowing the burner to ignite, then once ignited the photocell senses the light and allows the burner to stay running.

To test the photo cell remove it, hold your hand around the lens and turn on the boiler. Once the burner has ignited remove your hand (allowing the photocell to detect light). The burner should continue to run.

As your original problem was fuel related I doubt the photocell is faulty.

Mr rigsby I have to disagree with you in this case, if the photocell WAS faulty by doing what you suggest is no different to what is already happening it is going through the sequence and not firing, by doing what you suggest it will still not fire but you cannot be absolutely certain that the photocell is at fault or not. I agree it would confirm it was working but the boiler is not firing so you cannot dismiss it either way. With my method if the photocell was the culprit and it was faulty the boiler would still fire before going to lockout, likewise if you still had the same problem with my method you could say that the photocell was ok.

I appreciate the feedback. I disconnected the photocell and it still locked out. Is the lockout purely photocell controlled or is there an oil pressure or other safety mechanism that trips it? So frustrating...it makes all the right noises right up to ignition don't really know what else to try other than ordering some more oil??

When you bleed it leave screw undone if oil flows out quicker then it's not the oil pump if it don't flow out new oil pump

I tried that so it's not the oil pump...Iguess I'll have to buy a photosensor and failing that some more oil? I would have thought 200 litres would be enough to pressurise it?

It did, but as there is a tiger loop and there is only a few seconds of flame to ignition. I am trying to establish the following. Is the photosensor the only cause of a lockout pre ignition. I disconnected it and still got the lockout.

It did, but as there is a tiger loop and there is only a few seconds of flame to ignition. I am trying to establish the following. Is the photosensor the only cause of a lockout pre ignition. I disconnected it and still got the lockout.

In answer to your question, the photocell could be the problem. So could the solenoid, so could the pump as could the control box or the ignition coil. If the burner is making normal start up noise then you can assume the motor and fan are operating properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

All fixed. Changing the nozzle and cleaning...
Replies
Views
All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
How far did you strip pump down? No filter on...
Replies
Views
And just where can you see oil squirting from...
Replies
Views
Back