Oil Smell from Warmflow, Whitebird 70/90 Boiler | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil Smell from Warmflow, Whitebird 70/90 Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on Ron! But your logic won't be used by the people that make the regs! :) I have always thought that about copper gas pipes
But we have to respect the rules that would be suitable for a brand new entire job. Obviously an oil pipe should be all in one piece with no joints below ground, and only the minimum above ground at oil tank and firevalve to burner. And therefore no soldered joints should have been allowed. But on existing work on some occasions, I disagree with the regs.
Too many people however, bend the rules. No need for solder joints on new work anyhow
How does the fire valve look like have you got a link ? Maybe I know what it is but cannot remember.
Sure Gary, we can only stick to the rules and personally I would not bend the rules. I would love to work on oil boiler but being in London is a bit tricky to work on them. It's no point for me doing the oftec now, but maybe in the future. I can only agree the pipe should be in piece without having joints under the ground.

That's a single line filter we use in Germany, pretty good one.
What do you guys fit mostly ? Double or single
Afriso FloCo-Top K Einstrang-Ölfilter, 58,55 €

That's a nice looking piece of kit and I am sure it isn't cheap!
I can't read German and just wondering the details of that.
It is only domestic oil work mainly for me and I use Coopers type paper element oil filters nowadays normally.
The firevalves are usually Teddington KBB remote firevalves.

It is only domestic oil work mainly for me and I use Coopers type paper element oil filters nowadays normally.

(£46 plus deliy)

We also use a special paint for tank rooms against oil so oil cannot penetrate through the tank ground and will stay inside the tank. It will not harm the environment neither the manholes. Etc. Do you use things like that too ?
Heizölstopp Farbe für Tankräume, wasserbasierend, mit TÜV Zertifikat, grau u. rotbraun Farbenhaus Metzler

We also used to use cat litter when working with oil so in case you spilled a little oil it will soak the oil and won't go into the ground.

Oil burners — Weishaupt

The Mercedes in Berlin for installing an oil burner, top range boiler. An absolute beast

Cat Litter I have bought and used before. I thought I was the only person who had the idea! :smile:
Special paint to seal against oil, great job, but I never have needed it.

Cat Litter I have bought and used before. I thought I was the only person who had the idea! :smile:
Special paint to seal against oil, great job, but I never have needed it.
You see Gary, you aren't alone with the cat litter idea :) it may sound silly but works great :)
The paint it great, I remember when we had services to do we had to make sure that the tank room is fully painted and not cracked/crumbled. Basically, we painted the walls 1m above the floor, and then the whole floor, so nothing will go into the ground.

IMG_1470.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't expect my original post to generate a discussion on cat litter and boiler room paint!
Some of you asked me to report on the resolution of the problem.
The engineer came today, the boiler had been off for 5 hours and when he felt around the pump casing he got some oil on his finger. Taking note of your advice I asked if it was an idea to replace the pump but he thought not. He removed the pump and burner assembly and checked the tightness of all the nuts. There was no further leaks during the 30 mins or so he was here so he said he couldn't really understand where the smell was coming from. He suggested we see if the smell clears in the next few days. I am no heating engineer but I did work for over 40 years in engineering companies and based on my experience he hasn't done enough to fix the problem. The smell has been there for sometime getting gradually worse. I am well aware how little oil is needed to make the smell and I suspect when the boiler is running the very small weep of oil evaporates quickly. You will recall (my original post) that after a two week holiday the flexible hose was wet with oil; I now believe this was tracking down from the oil pump; it wasn't much but the smell was dreadful. Next week I shall be looking for a new engineer; any suggestions for North Shropshire?
Thanks for all the suggestions, Peter

Thinking that is the right move Peter, maybe a new post "Oil boiler engineer wanted, North Shropshire" as this thread maybe overlooked now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
S
The fusible wheel head valves are notorious...
Replies
Views
A condensing boiler is high efficiency, and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
Back