Old HW/CH system - how is this working? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old HW/CH system - how is this working? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

B

Bob_F

Teslothan Wiring.jpgTreslothan System.jpg

My mother-in-laws old bungalow has an old system and I (a plumbing / heating amateur) cant understand what is actually doing what? I have made up the two drawings attached as the best way to explain the system. Does it make sense, beacuse I dont understand what the pipe stats are doing in the locations they are or what they are actually contributing to the system.

I understand that the HW circuit, including Bathroom Rad is gravity/convection and that CH is pumped.

Cheers and thanks,

Bob_F

What you have is a stanley superstar oil boiler /cooker probably with a single burner and a deflector plate for cooking or heating. The HW is on gravity with an injector T built in to the T on the gravity side/pumped heating. The pipe stat comes in when the cooker gets too hot it circulates the water around the system to get rid of the heat on the cooker to stop it boiling the water when the HW is satisfied, this should overide the room stat, otherwise the cooker will keep going off on its control stat or overheat stat when you are trying to cook.

Is that Bickington nr Newton Abbot

Thanks Kimbo. I will study what you have said re the duty of the pipestats. The use of the injection T makes a lot of sense and is familiar to me on a much larger scale on oil tankers as a venturi device to create suction in a pipeline to the cargo tanks!

Similar plumbing topics

I don’t know your boiler but would expect it...
Replies
Views
thanks.... yes, so my diagram and wording is...
2 3
Replies
Views
What is the cylinder thermostat set to?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
Back