Old skool plumbing part 2 Leadwork lead burning/ welding | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Old skool plumbing part 2 Leadwork lead burning/ welding in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

DSC_3304edit.jpg Front apron, what next?

Would love to do a lead wiped joint, did welding /bossing at college,but never tought wiping,lead locks have a lot to answer for! Any one out there willing to teach?

the last lead job I did was only 13 and half tonne small job really took 3 months and why is it allways middle of winter when these jobs come about Eh!
do miss doing it but vertigo seen me off in the end and all the bay windows are poxy fibre glass or plastic nowdays
what ever happened to plumbers weather proofing buildings we used to glase and lead /gutters etc all gone now .
was a Propper job then

Just curious, do you dress the lead over a wooden tilting fillet then return the edge over, so that the slates go over this? That's the way it's done up here and I've seen different methods in parts of the UK.

Great video by the way.

great work eco, great to see a craftsman at work. I think properly installed leadwork can look wonderful.

my first year and a half in the trade was purely lead work, and i loved it except for the snow. Some days i just sat at a bench and welded slate after slate as i worked for a big company. Shame i have probably lost most of it now, as practice makes for good lead welding and bossing. Last time i did it it took a while to get it right but when i did i enjoyed it...... as other have mentioned its almost been taken away from our trade nowerdays, which is sad as i do often cringe at some of the bad lead work seen on sites.

Its so much quicker to weld but I have found chimney DPC tray with an upstand to go up the flue you can boss it quicker as long as its round not square

Great work. I'll be honest I didn't watch all 16 minutes of the video, but I did watch a good few.

You're clearly much better at lead welding than I am, but then that's not hard. Last time I tried was about about 10 years back and I was so awful I vowed never to try again!!

I don't find lead welding that different to welding sheet steel or stainless - sure the metal behaves a bit differently but the skills are essentially the same.

Yes I have done a lot of TIG welding stainless dairy pipe its a lot easier to melt a hole in lead though.
Tig and gas welding very simular, I dont miss gas welding pipe though

Similar plumbing topics

D
Well having that load of Charlie’s promoting...
Replies
Views
Puddle
P
M
Hahaha i remember something about 200ppm but...
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
P
Hope to be living the French way next year!
Replies
Views
Back