Opinion on my recent plumbing work plumber experience please | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Opinion on my recent plumbing work plumber experience please in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RGN007

Vanity.jpg
My version is I asked a plumber for a quote on fitting a new suite to an existing tiled bathroom. I only asked for him to remove the floor tiles because I was having a wall hung vanity sink and the previous bathroom installer, only 4 years earlier, had tiled the floor around the sink pedestal so this would have left an ugly gap. I didn't realise the plumber would also remove all my new ply sub tiling floor but he said it broke up removing the tiles. Unfortunately, this meant my new vinyl choice also needed yet another ply underlay...oh well...I would not have gone through with removing the floor had he explained this but he didn't and just took up the whole lot. He offered to come back at no extra charge £575 for 3 half days work as he already had other smaller jobs to fit in so he arrived each day just before lunch and left tea time on 2 days and only stayed a couple of hours on the Saturday. He didn't "fit" the toilet or the bath panel, and the several tiles he thought might need replacing stayed in tact all round the bath except for 2, and 2 mosaic ones where the bath was shorter. The tiling was in the price, but whilst doing the job (4 tiles) he said he hated tiling and would I like to employ a tiler! He begrudgingly carried on, though he was delighted I had paid extra on delivery of the suite for all items to be carried upstairs for him.

However, when I went in the bathroom to inspect the progress I was dismayed at the pipes on show beneath the new vanity unit! Had I known in advance I would have a) like a quote for re channeling the pipes. b) send the new vanity unit back intact and paid for a standing one.
At this point the plumber changed personality and started accusing me of thinking he is a charity and that as the customer, I should have been aware that such pipes were obscured by the previous pedestal. I stated I would have expected an experienced plumber to be aware that on giving a quote it was his job to survey where the water supply fed from and that leaving the pipes where they were had defeated the object of my having the floor taking up and that he had now damaged my new vanity unit by making (not that neat) holes through the bottom of it. I could not now return it.

He now says he can refit the pipes (LOOK AT PICTURE ABOVE) a few inches further back QUOTE "out of the goodness of his heart" and a "Gesture of goodwill" BUT that he will now charge me an extra £40 to secure the toilet and bath panel.
He says I am a poor communicator and misunderstand everything he says and it is my fault I did not notice the pipes in the first place.

Comments welcome. I have tried to be as objective as possible, but to be honest, every time I see the guy now I get palpitations.

I said he could refit the pipes but I would solve the fixing the toilet and bath panel myself after my new floor has been installed.

Am I unreasonable feeling the pipes are unsightly and unnecessary as part of the job?

PS, the sink looks huge but it is deceptively much more in keeping that it looks, though the pipes aren't.

I've had a few glasses of vino, but yes that does look rather ridiculous. Regardless of possible communication issues, as a plumber I would have expected your plumber to have pointed out the fact that you would have two unsightly pipes on view.

Did the plumber come recommended out of interest?

write a letter stating your issues in a reasonable manner and await the outcome. No joy trading standards for their opinion. if need be small claims procedure.

re plumbing, not good, could be tidier and tucked away. overall lack of communication in both directions here, did you get a written quote and spec of work involved, if not you are partly to blame as is he. its no win really and stress all round. try my suggestions first and take it from there.

It is hard to tell from the pic, but if the wall is plastered and not tiled, I can see no reason why the pipes were not placed in the wall.

technically speaking this is down to communication between you both. He should have discussed the pipework with you before starting the job imho.

Doesn't look like a plumbers work, more like a handyman.

If you wanted that type of basin I would have pointed out that the pipes would be best in the wall. Unfortunately you're only giving one side of the story but it's poor.

Thanks. Yes, I had two quotes and they were similar but I am usually a good judge if character and this guy is quietly spoken and was quite pleasant but now I feel he is more quietly controlling. I am a strong fit health professional but dealing with this man has given me a whiff of how a timid pensioner might feel.

I suspect he knows he has botched it, but he is a qualified plumbing and heating engineer and been in my area a number of years.

I am friendly with my ex who isn't a plumber but is gifted with a technical eye and even he says he would have removed 4 tiles under the sink and channeled the pipes in the wall but you might laugh when after having "qualified plumbers" to do a £7000 bathroom in our old house and after 3 major leaks, my ex improvised by refitting the bath uses car radiator hoses and we never had a leak again! he also repaired the Mira shower with a few carburettor bits he had in his engine tuning van. Anyway I digress but thought you might be amused.

You lot must be as sad as me lingering on nursing sites on my days off?

Honestly, the work is crap. BUT we only have 1 side of the story and not all of the facts.

If this had been my job to quote, I would have advised that you should have got a floor standing vanity unit OR that to fit this thing to a decent standard would require ripping up floor, AND ply, to source pipes under floor and channel them back to the wall, but the chances are you wouldn't have liked that quote and gone with this guy who gave you none of the facts and charged you less.

In all honest there was not reason to take up any tiles, because he clearly hasn't modified the pipework and they look so bad just sticking up through the floor like that, that he may as well have just filled in the spot where the pedestal was before (this pipework would look worse than the infill). The basin also looks too high to me, what does it measure to the top?

In future, don't let anyone tile around sanitary wear. It's one of my biggest pet hates, so lazy.

ouch, not sad helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
Misunderstanding comment above...

In defense of plumber, the tiling was around old pedestal because water pipes there. My issue on this point is, as a customer, this would never occur to me when years later considering a wall hung sink, but I would have thought a plumber would consider this in a 1950"s house?

No, although the pic demonstrates the pipes well, it has distorted the image of the sink. It actually is really nice and right height. The plumber did think to ask on that point.

Misunderstanding comment above...

In defense of plumber, the tiling was around old pedestal because water pipes there. My issue on this point is, as a customer, this would never occur to me when years later considering a wall hung sink, but I would have thought a plumber would consider this in a 1950"s house?

No, although the pic demonstrates the pipes well, it has distorted the image of the sink. It actually is really nice and right height. The plumber did think to ask on that point.

No, you first fix pipes, tile floor around them then sit pedestal on tiles. Not the other way around.

Yes, my point in the first instance was he should have explained what he was going to do before he started. If he'd been forthcoming you obviously would have said I don't want my pipes sticking through the floor!

Having those pipes on show kind of defeats the object of having a wall hung unit. Now it needs boxing in. Disgusting job.

bit baffled as you saw the progress and saw pipes sticking out floor so why not ask plumbs to hide pipes even if it was an extra it would have been worth paying , although the plumbs imo should have mentioned that in first instance

Yes, and not my new plywood and £250 vinyl topping with pipes through them as,well!

I think I am most upset because he verbally attacks me at it being my fault through ME not pointing the pipes out first so he could add it to the bill. My not-a-plumber ex has noted it only would have involved lifting one loose 12inch part board to join nearer wall. Seems odd my engine tuning non reading but technically adept ex can suss solution where the qualified heating plumbing person sees big problem.

I have paid plumber £500 of the £575. I am tempted to refuse the £75 and use it toward remedial work. Would that be unfair do you think, under the circumstances?

bit baffled as you saw the progress and saw pipes sticking out floor so why not ask plumbs to hide pipes even if it was an extra it would have been worth paying , although the plumbs imo should have mentioned that in first instance

I didn't see pipes until after he had completed hanging and sealing the unit.

I don't want it boxing in and paying him extra to tidy his shoddy workmanship is out of the question. Surprised you'd suggest that.

Was he a plumber of note or one of these so called not really a trade bathroom fitters??

Sounds like it's down to poor communications. If you had mentioned it at the beginning he would have known what you expected.
Either he didn't allow for moving the pipes or he thought he could get away with it!
Generally, with wall hung units, I would expect the pipes to be hidden away, and personally I would have raised the issue with the customer at the time.

Did your other quote not mention anything about re-routing the pipes?

It could have been worse...with the waste pipe under there as well:)

sorry never suggested boxing them in but if i was you i would have said not happy with pipes like i said imo he should have moved them bit of laziness methinks

ask him to do a decent job of it for the agreed price, if not get a quote to have it done by someoen else and withold money and maybe claim for any extra costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am in need of an experienced plumber...
Replies
Views
If you have the spare funds go ahead as it...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back