Opinion on quality of pipe work (pictures) | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Opinion on quality of pipe work (pictures) in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

R

Rob567

Hi forum

I had a new boiler put in and some pipes were put into the kitchen ceiling. I'm now in disagreement with the plumber as to whether the elbows of the plastic pipes are hanging too low. We are to plaster the ceiling but 3 separate plasterers have said its a poor job and they'll have to lower the ceiling.

Is there anyone there that can give me an objective opinion on these elbows?

photo (7).JPGphoto (9).JPG

Thanks

Attachments

• photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 229
Thanks for the replies. There was a ceiling when they he did the work. Laths and plaster. After the work was done I took the rest of the ceiling down. He says that the elbows were left so they'd fit if the ceiling was overboarded and that now "all" I need done is for the ceiling to be lowered.

I always avoid plastic pipes..called out to a job years ago as they had a leak. Turned out to be on the hot water from a combi(in hep) the fitting come apart at the weekend when the house was empty and hot water was pouring out all weekend an made a right mess of the kitchen..not a happy chap. COPPER FOR ME.

B and q fittings. Looks like DIY to me

As said. All i see is some plastic and a bit copper. I personally don't like plastic but the reality is it is used just as much as copper.

The checks are on the limit for the joist size. Strap the ceiling down with 2 x 1" sheet it and forget it.

BandQ don't sell poly Simon

Doesn't look like poly to me. Looks like the b and q alternative to the old hep2o non demountable

I don't understand how the plumber has notched the joists, clipped the pipes from underneath and even screwed a wrap over to the underside of the floorboards while the kitchen ceiling was still up. Something not right about this thread.

I don't understand how the plumber has notched the joists, clipped the pipes from underneath and even screwed a wrap over to the underside of the floorboards while the kitchen ceiling was still up. Something not right about this thread.

Exactly! The internet is a wonderful place.

Steve notches are allowed on the bottom of a joist in accordance with BS5268-2 no matter what a qs or clerk says but they are better on the top.

Agree it is poly plumb fittings and pipe
And whether you like plastic or not it does get used a lot I personally don't mind either way ill use copper and plastic what ever the job requires I have fitted tens of thousands of metres of underfloor heating (its still plastic pipe) and also pipe in pipe,prefer using manifolds as not overly keen on fittings

But as said it is to low for ceiling to be reinstated your installer should of drilled joints and fed it through so yes they should fix it or it will cost you a lot more to lower ceiling

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all the old argument, plastic blah blah plastic etc.

I think Tamz is spot on, easy to critise others work, the ceiling or majority was taken down after the install, we do not know what was agreed on site with the plumber or the circumstances.

Or even what conversations took place.

How many times on this forum have we had plumbers complaining about customers changing what they want, maybe it was explained to the customer about the ceiling and the customer said just leave it.

Why has the customer had more than 1 plasterer in and is now listening to them!

The plumber removeda small portion of the ceiling to get the pipes in. I've had some plasterers in to quote for redoing the ceiling plus other work. While in they all commented on the elbows. As did the builders who were in to bring the kitchen wall down.

I was looking to this forum to help me make a decision as to whether to stop complaining and just accept what it is whilst paying a bit more for the ceiling to be lowered before plastering or to push back and insist the elbow is either moved up (something he has said will cost me half a days labour) or replace entirely with copper.

Mixed reactions here though so still not sure :)

Exactly! The internet is a wonderful place.

Steve notches are allowed on the bottom of a joist in accordance with BS5268-2 no matter what a qs or clerk says but they are better on the top.
Hi tamz I have had a quick look through BS5268-2 can't see anything about cutting underside can you point me to the appropriate section / page, please ? It may be worth putting some limitations on cutting them otherwise we may have some of the young-en's cutting a third of the way through in the middle of the span, just like I see them doing on the top of the joists.

The plumber removeda small portion of the ceiling to get the pipes in. I've had some plasterers in to quote for redoing the ceiling plus other work. While in they all commented on the elbows. As did the builders who were in to bring the kitchen wall down.

I was looking to this forum to help me make a decision as to whether to stop complaining and just accept what it is whilst paying a bit more for the ceiling to be lowered before plastering or to push back and insist the elbow is either moved up (something he has said will cost me half a days labour) or replace entirely with copper.

Mixed reactions here though so still not sure :)
Nothing wrong with use of plastic (it's just old plumbers moaning) unless you asked for copper.
Unless you had a conversion with your plumber as to what was going to happen to the ceiling i.e. was going to be pulled down & redone complete, then he could reasonable have carried out his work under the apprehension that the ceiling was going to be repaired by over-boarding it which is a common technique, so as long as the elbows would have been hidden by this then IMHO it is down to you.

From the pictures, why will it be massively expensive to run battens across the joists with 2x 1 ?

sounds like the plasterers are making a meal of it, :44:.

If you keep moaning about it the job will never get completed, get it done and stop moaning !

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
They are guidelines and advice for pipe sizes...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There is hopefully a lintel above that new...
Replies
Views
I would call it installer error. Maybe from...
Replies
Views
Yep, that's what I meant (as per attached...
Replies
Views
Back