Overflow running when heating or hot water on | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Overflow running when heating or hot water on in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all, I have a customer with open vented system,cold feed from f&e tank is teed into flow just above cylinder coil where in enters attic as expansion/vent which terminates through roof
The tank overflows whenever heating or hot water is on and stops as soon as boiler/pump goes off,so it’s definitely filling tank through feed pipe
A new boiler,3 port valve have recently been fitted but this ongoing problem is still occurring
I thought coil maybe had pinhole but surely this would cause overflow to continually run as water tried to self level against cwst for cylinder
I’m at a loss how it’s happening only when boiler and pump on wether heating or hot water on
Any pointers or advice greatly appreciated

The thermal expansion coefficient of water changes with temperature. Water in heating systems typically expands around 1.5% when heated to say 70°c, not 4 %. Having said that something here doesn't quite add up.

It can't just keep overflowing each time the pump comes on or due to the expanded volume without external make up after the first overflow.

Then either the initial level is far too high, or the ball valve isn't shutting off fully.
The system volume expands by about 4 per cent when heated, so a system containing 100 litres would expand by 4 litres in volume.

The system volume expands at different percentages at different temperatures. For it to expand roughly 4% you would be heating the system water to close to 90-95°c. Most systems will expand around 1.5-2% when heated between 60-70°c and even less in low temperature systems which are becoming ever more frequent.
Looking at the OP initial diagram again it is possible the resistance of the HW and CH circuits are greater than through the boiler and combined cold feed and vent, which will cause the water to take the path of least resistance and back up said pipe. Of course an excessively high cold fill line would aid in the problem. If it was a faulty ballvalve I'd expect it to overflow regardless of whether or not CH or HW were on.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There might not be enough pressure to open the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
They need to hold there g3 certificate eg...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If this is pumping over or expansion from the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
Back