pan fitting | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss pan fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

herbert

hi, i am looking to install a toilet but the waste needs to go out the pan,down through the floor then back passing under the toilet is this ok,, i mean i am gonna have to take the waste through the ceiling just into the utility room below evantually to get under the floor joists so it can then terminate outside. Also how can i get my waste from the shower (top right) and from the (basin top left) to the soil pipe .. i guess its a case of lifting the shower tray a little and joining the basin to the shower waste.. round the skirting behind the loo to the outside or take the waste below the floor but thats gonna look awfull i can box the soil pipe in where it comes through the floor.
many thanks andy

pan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you need to get a plumber to do this job
Don't join wastes together

if you are lifting the floor why don't you just run the seperate wastes under them? saving you from boxing in

henno82 i am not lifting the floor only to mount the shower base on.gary0698 i think i am quite capable of doing this job but was looking for advice and i thought i could join the wastes together using anti syphon traps if i had no other option.

henno82 i am not lifting the floor only to mount the shower base on.gary0698 i think i am quite capable of doing this job but was looking for advice and i thought i could join the wastes together using anti syphon traps if i had no other option.

Being capable of doing a job is not the same as doing corectly if you want it to look like a diy job do exactly as you have stated if you want it done properly get a good plumber in

Being capable of doing a job is not the same as doing corectly if you want it to look like a diy job do exactly as you have stated if you want it done properly get a good plumber in

ok grey what would you do to do this job?

Well for one I can't make out pic
Then lift floor run all new pipework and wastes out seperatly or tee in to 4inch with a double boss
Fit shower tray to floor on a weak bed of sand & cement

Nothing wrong with combining branch wastes as long as they are done correctly . May need a branch vent ar anti syphon trap

Well for one I can't make out pic
Then lift floor run all new pipework and wastes out seperatly or tee in to 4inch with a double boss
Fit shower tray to floor on a weak bed of sand & cement
right the brown lines are the joists.. the sink top left and a stud between the back of sink and shower.. the soil stack is outside the room in the bottom left. The toilet outlet cannot come straight out the wall next to it and across the front of the house as there is a name plack on the front of the building which cannot be covered. As the sink and shower are gonna be across the room away from the wall and the waste will have to run in the opposite direction to the joists i cannot do the waste under the floor!

right the brown lines are the joists.. the sink top left and a stud between the back of sink and shower.. the soil stack is outside the room in the bottom left. The toilet outlet cannot come straight out the wall next to it and across the front of the house as there is a name plack on the front of the building which cannot be covered. As the sink and shower are gonna be across the room away from the wall and the waste will have to run in the opposite direction to the joists i cannot do the waste under the floor!

Why can you not put wastes under floor??
It's not good practice to join wastes I would not do it but some do

Combined wastes are fully covered in the Plumbing Engineering Services Design Guide. I would agree that where possible seperate wastes are preferred . In this case and many others you may have to do it . It needs to be carried out correctly as all waste pipes do .
I dont think its bad practice rather non prefered method
Your not gonna get waste through those joists

Last edited:
There is only 1 outside wall which is opposite the basin and shower shown at the top of the picture with the joists running horizontal so how to get to said outside wall putting wastes under the floor without drilling the joists which i will not do?

you will have to run the soil above floor because building regs say you cannot cut into joists the thickness of a soil pipe
thats why i want to take the soil pipe 90 degrees out of the toilet, through the floor then 90 degrees directly under the toilet runnin between the joists on a steady slope through the ceiling of the room beneath as it is only the boiler/utility room below then through the wall. which can all be boxed in

thats why i want to take the soil pipe directly under the toilet runnin between the joists on a steady slope through the ceiling of the room beneath as it is only the boiler/utility room below then through the wall. which can all be boxed in

Your right you can't notch the joists
But you can bore a hole in them

Your right you can't notch the joists
But you can bore a hole in them
surely that will be more than the stated 0.25 of the joist depth allowence that you are allowed to remove that is also if i could manage to thread ridged pipe through the holes wich surely would be a right ballache

Been there and done that Gray , absolute pain in the behind. You really struggle for fall as the hole has to be on neutral axis. Bending and forcing pipe through is a pain. You are limited on hole size depending on joist depth

Been there and done that Gray , absolute pain in the behind. You really struggle for fall as the hole has to be on neutral axis. Bending and forcing pipe through is a pain. You are limited on hole size depending on joist depth

Yes I agree it's not easy but it's my prefered method I hate to see surface layed pipes

well i would prefer not to see the pipes to be honest.. so if the measurements were correct and the hole is smaller than a quarter of the joist depth thats ok for me to do that,, which i dont think its gonna be smaller. I shall strengthen the joists by using boarding on the drilled sides and steel strips on the tops of the joists above the holes yeah

well i would prefer not to see the pipes to be honest.. so if the measurements were correct and the hole is smaller than a quarter of the joist depth thats ok for me to do that,, which i dont think its gonna be smaller. I shall strengthen the joists by using boarding on the drilled sides and steel strips on the tops of the joists above the holes yeah

Yes mate that would be a great job
You would be able to run your whb and shower wastes stight in to 4 inch
Hope all goes well
I wasn't being derogatory towards you I just hate to see surface layer pipes and now I see you do too

thanks mate
what do ya think to my idea with the toilet waste then? i hope i described it well enough. I have never done one like this or don't know with the tight bends it would be too restrictive to be honest

i want to take the soil pipe 90 degrees out of the toilet through the floor, then 90 degrees directly under the toilet runnin between the joists on a steady slope through the ceiling of the room beneath as it is only the boiler/utility room below then through the outside wall to the stack. which can all be boxed in

thanks mate
what do ya think to my idea with the toilet waste then? i hope i described it well enough. I have never done one like this or don't know with the tight bends it would be too restrictive to be honest

i want to take the soil pipe 90 degrees out of the toilet through the floor, then 90 degrees directly under the toilet runnin between the joists on a steady slope through the ceiling of the room beneath as it is only the boiler/utility room below then through the outside wall to the stack. which can all be boxed in

Sounds good to me mate can't see any problems there

I think everyone has missed the simple answer here which is taught to every plumber on their courses and that is to plan your room layout based on where the soil pipe is located. the idea of runnning a soil pipe back under the wc stinks in more ways than one. Eithe rmove the wc nearer to the soil pipe or move the soil pipe nearer to the wc . All other options are botches and wil lead to over long runs and blocked sytems in the future. Get back to the simple basics guys and stop trying to overcome a problem that shouldnt be there in the first place. The simple answer for herbert is you shouldnt be doing this and think of the right thing to do!

the stack cannot be moved,, it is out of the question. it has to be in the same place as the neighbour as its a 170 year old semi which never had a stack when he bought it. It has an outside loo on the back. The neighbour has put the loo in a different room to what my mate wants and the builder has already put in the branch/groundwork for the stack.. The loo also cannot be sited anywhere else in the desired room it is more or less impossible due to windows and other things, it would be about 6 foot run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Thanks yes I've seen that but it doesn't give...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Shaun. I didn't want to force it round...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes as above just watch your ods
Replies
Views
Back