Part P or ACS | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Part P or ACS in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not do your UCS?

Worcester are bringing out a new range of cold fusion boilers, no they are not joining plastic bits cold but nuclear fusion !

You will need

CNKH 1 - core nuclear know how 1

Pipe work

Reactors 1

Chernobyl avoidance 3

And a yellow paper suit!

Do leccky! Not just part p. 17th,
Inspection and testing.

Although being a spark is less protected than being a gas man there is a difference , most muppets who work on electrical installations haven't a clue but arnt qualified either, you will have a clue and be qualified. On the other hand ACS you will be but another nugget with his domestic ticket and be less use than wet-drip as a steel fixer.
Too many domestic lads with too little understanding or experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Croft,

I just looked up the Steve Willis center and notice that they have a site in Burgess Hill, Despite now living in Wales I am originally from Sussex (Brighton), I have friends/relatives that I can stay with in Lewes which is not that far.

What price did you pay for the course? Did you do 5 weeks? I like to go on recommendation for courses as you never know what the quality is like untill it is to late.

That course is slightly different to the one I did due to the requirement for an NVQ 3 to register with the competent person schemes now. I attended their Burgess Hill centre for an unvented course too, it's very nice. All the staff are really good. So much so that I will most likely travel down there again for any other courses I do to be honest with you.

The course was 6 weeks for me at the time and cost me £2,000. Because I was ex-military I got £1,000 off in learning grants too so only really cost me £1k. I did it just as I was wrapping up my business in Hampshire to move up here so I had a few weeks spare while we finalised the house move etc.

I think Steve Willis will still be teaching the electrical courses himself. He is a very experienced electrician himself but (much more importantly) a very good and charismatic teacher and business person. Much better to have someone who is a good teacher than a good tradesperson imo.

Hi Croft, How long ago did you do the course? I notice that it is now only a five week course and cost nearly £3K Surprised it is shorter for more money??

I am going to speak with them tomorrow and see what they say.

Did you live in Sussex originally? How was work down there for you?

Mark.

It would have been over 3 years ago when I did the course now. I lived in Hampshire originally. To be honest work down there was never as good as Lincolnshire. Much more good and intelligent competition. There is still competition here but to be honest there are only a couple of large firms who I would say are serious competitors. A lot of the plumbers here are crap to be honest.

May sound arrogant and it's not meant to be, based on my experience of dealing with more complaints from customers about other people's work here.

Strange you say that, I get a lot more work in Wales than I did in Sussex, and get a lot more complaints about other engineers here as well.

Spoke to the Steve Willis centre today and they have a vacancy for end of July seriously considering it

Out of curiousity have you been able to charge more in Wales than you did in Sussex? I have been able to. Not so sure about the North/South divide to be honest, certainly not where plumbing is involved!

I charge the same here as I did in Sussex, I get 95% of the jobs I want so I could charge more if I chose to.

Well, I booked the course at Burgess Hill, but have just been informed that no one else as booked so they are not running the course, I am very disappointed, it only seemed to have one booking a year in Sussex which is a big problem.

Croft, What 17th edition Multi tester do you have/recommend?

Bought the Dilog 9083P to start with on the basis it was about half the price of the other ones, it's a good starter test meter. The only downside is you need to get used to using 3 probes in one hand whilst pressing the test button with the other at times! It lasted 2 years before it needed recalibrating but that was enough time to make sure I could get enough work doing electrical work and I liked it. Going to splash a bit more cash on a better one later this year now I know I enjoy electrical work and the demand is there.

Croft,

I have now taken and passed my Domestic Installer, Part P and 17th edition exams I have booked the 2392 and 2395 but I may try and join a scheme as soon as the paperwork arrives.

What exams did you do with steve willis?

Croft,

I have now taken and passed my Domestic Installer, Part P and 17th edition exams I have booked the 2392 and 2395 but I may try and join a scheme as soon as the paperwork arrives.

What exams did you do with steve willis?

Is that 2394 and 2395? Will cost around £500 to join a scam.

Yes, I am going2392 then 2394 and 2395. They are all a scam, who are you with?

Yes, I am going2392 then 2394 and 2395. They are all a scam, who are you with?

I'm not as yet. I work for a company full time doing site work plumbing and gas so couldn't justify the joining cost at the minute.

Do you get free sunglasses with the sparky courses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In that case, just get the Mechanical Engineer...
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
Fits back on flue on top of boiler
Replies
Views
Atag let you go for the 600mm clearance away...
Replies
Views
Back