Paying by credit card | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter MikeF00
  • Start date
  • Replies 245
  • Views 43K

Discuss Paying by credit card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true though - you HAVE to move along with times. Card payments aren't even the future, they're the past. But The amount of tradesmen that don't hold this facility are losing out. And if you cant make enough profit to cover the £150 a year cost then your doing something terribly wrong

I would love to see a major builder punch their number into a machine.
No difference there either, they have to pay suppliers on many ocasions with several company credit cards as they also do with hotel bills and entertaining prospective clients with business lunches.

When I did my council contract, all of their materials were purchased by credit cards.

As I said above I can also take payments over the phone, as do millions of businesses worldwide do as well.

Many retailers have a 2.5% surcharge on card payments (I don't) to cover the charges.

Do you really expect people to have to go to the bank in this day and age and have the hassle of withdrawing thousands just to pay you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with system. Doesn't matter how big the company. It's all the same and they still use card machines and pay by card

how much is the monthly fee for machine rental or whatever they charge you for?
That's negotiable with whatever payment plan is best suited to you. Bit like a monthly phone contract! Why not arrange a meeting with their local rep and find out? No obligation and you have nothing to lose.

System we will agree to disagree.
Some day when you get bumped for thousands you might consider moving into the 21st Century. Plus you're not offering your customers the benefit of having a convenient and alternative payment method than "going to a bank".

One alternative to credit/debit card payments is to set up a business Paypal account and get paid that way. Be aware though that Paypal's fees are much higher than card machines, but either way you get paid.

Done it and didnt want to pay, besides still live in the 20th century where trust is a two way thing. And as I say will always collect

I must admit to being surprised at the debate. As a merchant, our preference would be in this order:

Debit card
Credit card
Cash
Invoice on account, paid by BACS
Invoice on account, paid by cheque
Cheque (on the spot)

I appreciate that our business processes are a bit different, but charge backs on cards are trivially small in comparison to bounced cheques, late or unpaid invoices. Large amounts of cash are a pain in the @ss.

Having said that, I would not be surprised if a tradesman didn't want to take a card - and if I wanted to pay that way, I would expect to check before the job started. However, if at the end of the job, he whipped out a card machine and offered to let me pay by card, I would be impressed.

Thank you Ray, exactly what my point is. As for payment methods I've completely eliminated the last 3 methods on your list as I expect to (fairly) and promptly paid for my services upon completion of works.

Sadly Nicro3 "Done it and didnt want to pay, besides still live in the 20th century where trust is a two way thing. And as I say will always collect" may well prove to be your downfall one day when you get bumped for a large 4 figure sum.

Semi retired can afford to have this attitude been there done it and got the t shirt

I'll contact my local Cardsave rep and if enough of you guys are interested, Ill secure a good discount for forum members.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Have worked hard and now work as and when

I'd love to have this, but hate being charged! How dear is it?
As above, contact your local area rep, arrange a meeting and work out an affordable package that suits you, your business and your budget.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Have worked hard and now work as and when
"Lucky" as in your semi retired and you're in the position that you don't have the cash flow worries many other plumbers have. Not meant luck as how hard you've worked. I've worked hard all my life as well but I consider myself both lucky and fortunate to be in the position I am in now.

I'll contact my local Cardsave rep and if enough of you guys are interested, Ill secure a good discount for forum members.

All members interested PM me your email/contact details and I'll contact Cardsave. If we get enough names to get their interest, I'm certain I'll get a good discount, but the final package is the one that YOU chose.

There is also the company that Lee/Bod deals with as well but I know little of them.

Not lucky have worked towards it. PLEASE READ POST
I meant lucky as in fortunate. PLEASE READ POST.

Swings and Roundabouts this, and off topic and I'm not getting drawn into a terminology debate, which is detracting from the helpful post I've offered above about those wanting a card machine. Please leave it alone and let it rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

S
  • Question
For the job you have described materials are...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m looking for work as a trainee/mate...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thankyou, I have already installed a hot and...
Replies
Views
Back