Permitted pressure drop, existing pipework and new appliances... | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Permitted pressure drop, existing pipework and new appliances... in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

It takes a GREAT man to stand up and admit his mistake. Good on you feller.

On a cp12 I just put as you say, pass or fail. Even though you don't have to do a tightness test on a cp12. Another touchy subject I believe

Something to be aware of.
A few years ago I had a similar situation, 1mb drop but no smell so I left it on. My mistake was in telling the customer as the next day she rang Transco, as it was then, to say I had left a leak and her friend thought there was a smell in the house.

Obviously they cut her off and my boss at the time was most unhappy.

Just to let you all know i had good chat with gas safe this morning and seams I was informed wrong in the past (from collage,worcester,and gas safe) you do not have to prove the leak is on the appliances sorry for being stubborn on this one.
I would buy you all a pint but never had a invite.
I asked if just soundness testing eg landlord and also if installing new appliance on existing system you do not have to find leak.
Do you recorded the leakage rate on your paper work or just pass or fail.

Mate, we all get little things stuck in our heads that we become convinced is 100% right. As long as we keep an open mind and are happy to be corrected it's a good way to learn. At least you were erring on the side of caution! :)

My understanding is that if appliances are connected, the permissible drop applies. If the boiler is the only appliance, you replace it, then there's no longer a connected appliance, cause you've changed it, so how could the customer smell gas on a new appliance?

If you do 'work' on the installation, providing the leak is no greater than before and the appliances have remained connected, then you're ok.

I have to do work on empty properties for landlords. A gas test is needed, but if there's a leak, who do you ask if there's a smell of gas? The new tenant won't know cause the gas has been capped prior to them moving in. So if there is ANY leak in an empty or recently tenanted property, you can't conform there's no smell, so the leak must be traced and repaired IMO.

This is my belief anyway!

Just to let you all know i had good chat with gas safe this morning and seams I was informed wrong in the past (from collage,worcester,and gas safe) you do not have to prove the leak is on the appliances sorry for being stubborn on this one.
I would buy you all a pint but never had a invite.
I asked if just soundness testing eg landlord and also if installing new appliance on existing system you do not have to find leak.
Do you recorded the leakage rate on your paper work or just pass or fail.

To gain entry you only need to knock.

PM Mr Doberman.

My understanding is that if appliances are connected, the permissible drop applies. If the boiler is the only appliance, you replace it, then there's no longer a connected appliance, cause you've changed it, so how could the customer smell gas on a new appliance?

If you do 'work' on the installation, providing the leak is no greater than before and the appliances have remained connected, then you're ok.

I have to do work on empty properties for landlords. A gas test is needed, but if there's a leak, who do you ask if there's a smell of gas? The new tenant won't know cause the gas has been capped prior to them moving in. So if there is ANY leak in an empty or recently tenanted property, you can't conform there's no smell, so the leak must be traced and repaired IMO.

If you have a permissible drop with appliances connected with no previous reports of smell of gas and you do not smell anything yourself at the time then that is all that is required to comply with the regs.
Some employers etc still require a zero drop as per their own policy though.
If you choose to trace and repair anyway then that is you being conscientious, but is not required as per regs.

...the leak must be traced and repaired IMO.

You don’t have to trace and repair a leak after failed TT. You could make an installation safe.

From IGE/UP/1B:

If the installation fails the test, trace and repair the leak(s) and re-test the installation. If the leak(s) cannot be traced and repaired, the installation must be made safe by disconnecting appliances or isolating the installation.

Last edited:
You don’t have to trace and repair a leak after failed TT. You could make an installation safe.

From IGE/UP/1B:

If the installation fails the test, trace and repair the leak(s) and re-test the installation. If the leak(s) cannot be traced and repaired, the installation must be made safe by disconnecting appliances or isolating the installation.

We have to make the installation safe anyway in the situation where the property is no longer tenanted, but we are the repair contractor too, so a repair would be needed by us anyway.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Thanks for your reply - softener is brand new...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
By restriction I mean testing from a gas valve...
Replies
Views
there's a leak somewhere in your pipes that...
Replies
Views
T
Easy way to tell turn heating and hot water...
Replies
Views
Back