Pipe diameter affecting gas usage. | USA Plumbers Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipe diameter affecting gas usage. in the USA Plumbers Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, I'm being told one thing by an engineer sent by my supplier and another by one from my landlord, I'd greatly appreciate some advice on which ones telling the truth, thank you.

I moved into a flat and found that my gas bills were extraordinarily high, my supplier sent out an engineer who replaced the gas meter, when doing so he commented that the cause of the problem could be that the pipe going from the meter to the boiler was only 15mm when it ought to be 22.

Having checked the meter they said it wasn’t at fault, so I contacted my landlord and told them what the engineer had said about the pipe being the cause; however they insisted that it was the right size of pipe for the boiler.

Although not admitting any fault my landlord agreed to replace my central heating system because it was due for replacement as part of a home improvement program. The engineer who came to fit the new system commented that the pipe going from the meter to the boiler was not the correct size for the new boiler, which is a Worcester Greenstar 30i ERP, so he fitted a new 22mm pipe for it.

Though pleased with the new system I was left with a hefty gas bill due to the previous one using so much gas, so I told my landlord what their own engineer had said and asked for compensation, but they again insisted that the pipe was the right size for the old boiler.

My old boiler was a Worcester 28cdi and I’d like advice on whether the 15mm pipe that went from it to the gas meter was in fact the incorrect size?

I’ve downloaded the installation instructions for this boiler, and on page 5 table 7 it does seem to me to say that it requires a 22mm pipe, however as I’m not an expert I can’t be sure. You can download the instructions on Google by typing Worcester 28cdi manual and clicking the top result on the page which is a PDF of it.

Thank you again for any advice you can offer.

If your usage has been compareable then it does seem a bit of a mystery. An older boiler will use more gas but your difference does seem excessive. All the same I think your issue may lie with your supplier not with the boiler. Who was the supplier just out of interest ? I know from personal experience where I have just moved The previous owners of the property hadnt paid their last bill and the supplier tried to pass it on to me.

Have you checked the tariff/price per kilowatt you're being charged now against previous bills, we moved into a rented property which previously had a heated pool which was illegally tapped into the gas main the landlord got a prison sentence for it but we paid over the odds for our gas to pay off somebody else's debt until we complained but never got any rebate from british gas even though we tried for two years!!

Hi,

Thank you Riley, GasmanxxxR1, mache, croppie, bogrodder, Tjdservices, AWheating, finchy01, jonnyswamp, the Stigster and markfxy for your advice, it was greatly appreciated.

This is just an update as I believe I finally found the cause of my excessive gas usage.

You may think I'm rather stupid for not noticing this before but my flat has large single glazed sash windows, which is the only key way in which it differs to the other flats I've lived in.

I suspect that these cause it to be very poorly insulated, I guess we perhaps don't realize the difference that modern double glazing makes to insulation.

I've noticed that there is a constant cold draft when I stand near the windows which doesn't happen with double glazed ones. Also the windows in my living room are twice the size of those in any other flat I've lived in.

However the building my flat is in is also an old listed one made of sandstone, so it may not have cavity wall insulation too. I live on a middle floor thus there's a flat above and below me so I don't think the roof or floor insulation is an issue.

Anyway I tried everything else that you guys suggested such as contacting my supplier etc, and could find no other culprit than the windows or other insulation issue.

Thanks again for your help.
Ulysees

wont be heat leaking through the walls normally find them about a foot thick plus

Depending on carrying out your gas pipe sizing calculations you can't make a statement saying that it has to be in 22 when 28 is required based on the calculation and whatever appliances are in the property

If the MIs (Manufacturers Instructions) say it needs 22mm, then that is what it needs.

No MIs will state a certain pipe size. They may give a minimum, but they will always specify correctly sized pipework.

As Riley said - it might need bigger pipe, calculations will tell you what's needed. But equally, if the meter is right next to the boiler, even 15mm might work.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
The boiler is just responding by limiting the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If its a conversion, depending how well it was...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
Back