Pipe size to combi boiler question | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipe size to combi boiler question in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
pressure is highest at the meter so 22mm connections is fine, obviously the further away you get reistance will reduce the pressure. so 28mm going on 22mm at meter is fine.

you can run a 24kw boiler on a 30m equivelent pipe run (actual pipe length + 0.5m per bend)
Been a while since I done sizing and I may be a bit rusty, but the average 24KW boiler I see on a daily basis consumes 2.5-2.6m³/hr of gas. So how can you run 30m of 22mm pipe plus elbows and supply the gas required at max rate to the boiler.

24kw gross input = 2.21cu/m gas total 30metres == 1mb drop over the length

24kw gross input = 2.21cu/m gas total 30metres == 1mb drop over the length
Bear with me here. Had a few tonight. Worc. 24i Junior. (quite an average boiler I think) requires 2.6m³/hr of gas at max rate. 30M of 22mm pipe will only supply 2.3m³/hr of gas. Even without bends that reduces the rate further this does not go!!!
Am I getting confused here?

sorry mate I am being a lazy get, and using an iPhone app to work out rates, 2.6m3/hr works out at 28.29kw it might be that the manufacturers give different figures to what the iPhone works out, perhaps someone else can throw some light on this.

2.6m³/hr is the MI stated figure for the Greenstar junior. Not some approx calculation. So obviously we should be taking the Manufactures published figures and sizing accordingly? That being said 20m of 22mm + handful elbows would be the max length we should run. Not taking into account any extra load for cooker etc.

Agreed with GrahamM. The BG man 's suggestion is appropriate and it looks like the cost of up grading supply pipe is substantial, unless the distance between gas meter and boiler is less than 10m away, taking into account elbows and a gas cooker in the flat!

??? Scottish special ??? lol

No offence Kirk :wink:

tam i'm even older than that remember SSHA and the yellow and black vans, went to supervise the gas work out at the old depot at Mayfield many times

Been a while since I done sizing and I may be a bit rusty, but the average 24KW boiler I see on a daily basis consumes 2.5-2.6m³/hr of gas. So how can you run 30m of 22mm pipe plus elbows and supply the gas required at max rate to the boiler.

to calculate consumption you multiply max HI by 0.094 (24x0.094= 2.256m3/hr) my post said you can get this gas from an equivelent 30m length (which INCLUDES ALL BENDS @ 0.5m per bend) which i took from the tables in BS6891

I checked out the job today, there is no way of actually knowing the exact pipe length and how many bends, I'd say total length in the region of 25-30m, but I checked out the existing boiler and was getting 2.25 m3/hr at the boiler, and with the boiler and hob running I was getting around 2.8 m3/hr with the hob being 0.6m3/hr with 3 burners on, there is a possibility of replacing around 3m of 22mm with 28mm in the flat which could help with any pressure loss issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back