Pipe slicing. Once took it for granted, now becoming an issue. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipe slicing. Once took it for granted, now becoming an issue. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I use this one. Have always used this one. Never had any problems. Then recently it started to get caught, mangle the pipe up or cut grooves. Tried another, did the same. Tried my mates - which she has had for about a year and had no problems previously and it now does the same. So is it cheap, thin tube from toolfix/screwstation to blame? Anyone else had this? Don't know whether getting pipe from somewhere else is bonkers because surely it's all identical? And if so, what slices do you all use?

Cheers

Bought this up few months back about pipe slices being carp ,

Been through loads this year maybe 7 or 8 various 15mm and 22 mm cutters.

tried all makes all rubbish

Btw if you buy them from a merchant and they thread after a week or so take them back and they will swap them.
They just throw them on the pile with the rest of the rottenberg rubbish and give them back to the rep.

Probably just getting old and worn. Mine started tracking, leaving a nice spiral groove but no cut. Changed the wheel and it was fine again. Take it apart every now and again and put a bit of lubricant on the spring and groove. Clean the rollers occasionally as well. I find the rollers get a bit rusty if I put the cutter away wet.

Try Irwin, they're a bit bigger, but better than the others.

Another tip is keep your new pair for clean cuts only and your old pair for the cutting of coverd and wet/ full pipe work.

Also there's nowt wrong with a hacksaw :)

Last edited:
A squirt of wd after every job or end of the week does the trick.

Always found the original Kopex slices to be fine if maintained with new wheels and the odd bit of lubrication. I have more problems with dropping them and watching them roll into some inaccessible spot.

Ive got the rothenberger slices had them for about 4 years never had a problem, I take them apart and give them a good clean and a new wheel every couple of months, just ordered new ones to go in a different bag so ill see if there the same quality

I've had both cheap copies and expensive originals. Its the luck of the draw, but I do believe they are getting worse. I probably buy 3 or 4 a year.

My latest one has started tracking after about a week.

Ok cool. I'll just start returning them regularly and consider part of the nonsense.

Cheers.

Must just be me but, I'm still using my Kopex 15 and 22 that are about 7 year old, just new blades.

I bought some copper from Screwfix ONCE and my stabila magnetic level stuck to it - not a good sign....

what's done my head in is i never had a problem until the last few and now they are buggering up within a month.

i bought a pair off rothencrap and two days later was taking them back, try to stay away from anything rothencrap now

Deffo poorer quality than they used to be. I had a Rothy 15mm one a few months ago that was tracking straight out of the packet.

Also find them harder to turn nowadays but that may just be me getting old & feeble ;)

Last edited:
you never track when cutting old pipe. or even fairly new - but installed - and so a bit dirty/painted etc pipe. maybe you should collect scrap not to weigh in but to use on installs because at least it won't end up be wasted with hoola hoops being etched all the way down it in 2 inch intervals.

you never track when cutting old pipe. or even fairly new - but installed - and so a bit dirty/painted etc pipe. maybe you should collect scrap not to weigh in but to use on installs because at least it won't end up be wasted with hoola hoops being etched all the way down it in 2 inch intervals.
this has really bugged you today hadn't it WT. If it makes you feel better I threw my 15mm slice accross a loft today in a rage when it kept tracking. Regretted it when I couldn't find my spare one. Copper pipe is cack these days thin cheap rubbish.

I've got about 4 pairs of slices 15/22. 6 of them are Rothenberger, there was 4 Rothenberger but I 'lost them' bought two more then found them.
I have no trouble with them. Strip them down regularly, if they get wet give the rollers a good lick of WD40 and spin them over.
Same with my Amtech ones. If you strip them down, clean them up and oil them with new wheels, there is not much to go wrong on them..
I use screwfix or toolstation wheels (monument ones don't fit.... ) and change them ever couple of months or when the cuts are getting gammy.

I never oil mine, I'm always worried I'll forget to clean the pipe thoroughly and that it could affect soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I wouldn't rely on pipe finders as a definite...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
I reckon if poss seal it
Replies
Views
I had the mash hammer at my side ready to bray...
Replies
Views
C
Re: Loss of pump circulation to boiler after...
Replies
Views
craigskelly
C
Back