Pipework concerns | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipework concerns in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

Pompey

I'm not gas registered but have raised concerns on the pipework for an installation with Gas Safe. I thought they'd pop round to the customer with me and tell me whether my concerns were valid or not. They have however written to the customer asking loads of questions which has unsettled them. I know that if the pipework is correct no one should have any problems but in the meantime I have a worried customer and now builder. I can get a private Gas Safe registered engineer to visit quicker to allay these fears but has anyone had any experience of then asking Gas Safe to postpone or cancel their visit, safe in the knowlege that a registered engineer has checked it out - or is it that once the issue has been raised with Gas Safe they have to visit. If I was wrong on my concerns I'd prefer to be red-faced in front of a guy that I was paying rather than Gas Safe - not that (I'm sure) Gas Safe would make me feel like that.

What exactly were you concerned about. Is the pipe plastic, is it hanging loose, does it look like a dogs breakfast, is it too small?
A picture would help.

What exactly were you concerned about. Is the pipe plastic, is it hanging loose, does it look like a dogs breakfast, is it too small?
A picture would help.

Hi Tamz - it looks like 15mm copper (for a hob) going into some form of reducer and then into steel (I digit out a bit). HOWEVER, the 15 mm rotates by hand both ways as if its in a push fit. At the meter is a 22mm copper going to the boiler and a 22mm copper going off under the house PRESUMABLY to the hob (and possible off to a gas fire not seen). No isolator valve for the hob (yet to be installed) and I would have thought a legit' gas guy would have put one on to save turning the meter off again. The property is big and on beam and block so hundreds of cubic feet of void below. If this leaked it would unlikely be smelled as a tiled floor is going on top. Wet underfloor heating so anticipate movement - no denso tape that I can see. Hopefully there's a picture below for you.
image.tiff

Curious now.
As tamz, a picture tells a thousand words or at least a detailed description on what you believe the problem is.

No.
If you have the pic on your pc click the insert image button (3rd from right on the on the bar above) then select from computer, browse for it and upload it.

Can't see.

I'm surprised Gassafe reacted at all, then
I'm surprised Gassafe reacted in the way they have.
What have they asked that's worried your customer?

hob pipe.jpg
Its 15mm copper going into what looks like a reducer then into steel. Thing is though that the 15mm (to the hob) rotates 360 degrees by hand, both ways, as if its in a push fit fitting. Two 22mm copper pipes come off the meter - one to the boiler and one to the hob. the house has a beam and block floor so sits on a few hundred square foot of void/air which if filled with gas........ There's underfloor heating too so I imagine there will be movement in the floor which could rip this fitting apart. Couldn't see any denso tape either. Any thoughts gents. Hopefully the picture can be opened in a bigger format but I'm on a Mac and it seems to have a problem with pics on this forum

Snowhead - they've asked for builders' details and presumably the gas safe installer but I recon the builder has put in the pipework in to be signed off later. I wouldn't have a problem with this if there was a closed isolator valve, separating the new pipework from the existing live pipework put in by a gas safe installer. There is however no such isolator which I would expect a legit' gas installer would put in to save shutting off the meter again.

What is the work that you have had done? If you aren't happy I think you should call the original engineer back and give him the oportunity to put it right. Failing that call another local gas safe registered engineer. I assume you have checked the original guys gas safe details?

Snowhead - they've asked for builders' details and presumably the gas safe installer but I recon the builder has put in the pipework in to be signed off later. I wouldn't have a problem with this if there was a closed isolator valve, separating the new pipework from the existing live pipework put in by a gas safe installer. There is however no such isolator which I would expect a legit' gas installer would put in to save shutting off the meter again.

Shouldnt be any need for additional isolation valves if the work is carried out correctly.

That's a reducer in the compression fitting, looks. Bit rough with no protection too.

Bit bad that but there's always 2 sides to a story.

Similar plumbing topics

D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
S
Nothing other than a pain to work on not...
Replies
Views
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Back