Please advise / shower | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Please advise / shower in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi

Replaced a shower pump and on sat replaced new shower.

All working, looking good.

Today get a call no hot water.

Went there, pump won't kick in in hot. When you turn pump upside down in works but put it back stops again.

Took shower off wall, turned pump off, cold great (tank fed) hot weak - was 3 Ltrs per min now just 2.

I think this issue is the pump not being fed enough hot. I changed the hose as it was twisted a little and pulled the mesh filter out. Still the same.

Not sure what to do, it's weird that in Sat it worked now not.

The shower is a Triton and 0.1 bar ( I was careful to get that right).

Anyone help with this one please?

Thanks

Rct

Sounds like not enough flow to trigger the flow switch on the hot side. Could possibly be caused by an airlock, so check that first. How high do the pipes run in relation to the cwsc? Or how high is the shower head in relation to it? which ever is higher

Upvote 0
I think you're right in saying there's not enough flow to trigger the flow switch in the hot side.

The pumps sits at the bottom of the hwsc and the shower is on the same floor. The shower head is about 2m above the pump.

The cwsc is in the loft so that's above the shower pump by about 8ft and the shower head by about a meter.

The pipes come out of the pump about 30/40cm, travel along about 30/40cm, reduce to 15mm the go vertical under the floor to the shower.

I called watermill & went through air in pump etc. With them, took shower off wall & turned water on, cold great but hot about 2ltr per min. When I
put valve back on wall & undo hose, cold great, hot hardly anything.

So the negative head pump will be pushing water into the hwsc? Never seen one so apologies for asking,

This ones got me as all I done is replaced like for like new pump & shower!

Thx
Rct

Upvote 0
Hey rocket where did you take your tee for the hw , was it from the cyl (flange) or hot pipe?

Upvote 0
You said you replaced pump and shower so it obviously worked b4 did it?

Upvote 0
Have you adjusted the shower valve handle (if was removed when being fitted) of the shower when u tested it first time?

Upvote 0
like kris said have you got an essex/surrey flange on the cylinder? have you tried disconnecting the pipework and turning the pump on with just the flexies in a bucket to see if you've got the flow before the shower valve?

Upvote 0
The shower & pump used to work. I changed the pump a week or so ago like for like. The shower didn't work so changed the shower. The tenants said it all used to work.

On Saturday when I replaced shower all was lovely. Hot shower, bliss.

Now it's he'll!!

I'm thinking the shower pump is faulty, when I take the shower off the wall I get lovely hot at 2lts per min, the pump in the hot side still doesn't kick in.

When I put the valve back on hardly any hot & it's like warm,

I've not touched any settings from Saturday, I changed the shower pump hose as it was bent just in case, ripped the mesh filters out just in case, nothing.

The hot feed to shower pump comes out of top of hwsc, this hasn't changed,

I am a loss, confused and the tenants called me 13 times today!!'

It must be the pump?

Upvote 0
You do have poss pressure rocket just not very much by your description, that was why i was askin about where the tee for hot was,

Upvote 0
I'll go back tomorrow to look again, I tested the pump when on the phone to watermill,

Undid top case & disconnected hot & cold switch one at a time. All ok, they said it's not the pump. I think it is,

Upvote 0
Just maybe custards touched any valves ,, gate valve on cyl feed, did u disconnect outlet of pump and run for while just to clear any air, its common for gate valve to go if a certain age,

Upvote 0
I had an eldery lady last tuesday , big house and hw was coming and going from taps , sometimes it ran dry , first thing i done was put cold back up hot as old style house no non returns in case it was air but it was the gate valve , and they hadnt touched it they were elderly and the valve was in attic,

Upvote 0
Sounds more like a restriction

How old is the cylinder?

any other hot outlets affected?

possible the pump has sucked some crud into the outlet

by draining down and replacing it its fallen down to get sucked up again.

Upvote 0
Have you adjusted the shower valve handle (if was removed when being fitted) of the shower when u tested it first time?

I think kris could be on to something here, perhaps not set up to give enough hot water through the thermostat to trigger to flow switch.

Upvote 0
It might actually be that the last pump flow switch had less resistance and activated with less a flow needed than the watermill

Upvote 0
No idea!! I tried everything I was told, what I know and still cold!! 3 hrs today, wasted time in a pit of a house, back tomorrow.

I think tomorrow I'll take the flow off the pump and open the valve in a bucket too see if it kinda the same flow when the shower valve is off.

I'll go through commissioning again in shower & put it together again.

Bleed pump, etc. etc.

Not confident on this one.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for asking Lou. After taking 30+...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Stnd wrong pump for a high pressure shower...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi SI......is the shower on the same floor as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This might be of interest...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have to admit that I don't know what a 60...
Replies
Views
Back