PLEASE HELP, do I go on my own or continue working for someone else.. | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss PLEASE HELP, do I go on my own or continue working for someone else.. in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

My friend earns £200 a day, clear, working for someone else who has a customer base. He does private jobs in the evenings, but cannot get enough work to branch out on his own. Their company turns over 250k per year, the owner pockets 60k, minus tax, per year (they fit bathrooms to new-builds). Like you, he is thinking of setting up his own business, but by earning £200 per day, (starting at 8am and finishing at 3.30pm),he can't find the motivation. He says he does 70% of the work and earns 30% of the money, but he does not have to find jobs.
It seems a lot, but it is genuine. Also we are out in the sticks, not London. For a while he worked for a national contractor who provided him with work (I forget the name) but had major row with them when he let slip to a customer that he was only getting 1500 for a bathroom fitting that the customer was paying 4k for (the customer complained about the charge).He deals mostly with push-fit plastic, but can tile, use copper, and problem-solve, etc., so his new boss trusts him to complete a job.
He does not have real job security, as he depends on new builds going up regularly. He has been incredibly lucky in teaming up with his boss who has a lot of contacts. He also works odd hours at the drop of a hat, ideally they work till mid-afternoon only, but I should add that he can stay till midnight sometimes, and if they have to go back to their job due to problems, they don't get paid.Also, he has to pay his own PL insurance and make pension provision, accounts, etc. The OP should stick to his 35k job, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your mate is earning that sort of money, and not even working a full day, doing new work, I would be asking his boss for a job, + his private work, He is coining it in, Hope he is telling the tax man,
He declares some of his income-I know it seems hard to believe, but it is not a tall story (what would be the point, I'm trying to be helpful) he started training in his thirties, did a couple of years helping his uncle while he did one of these correspondence type courses. . Where he got lucky was, signing for one of these big nationals, like Dolphin (but it wasn't them, I forgot the name, they get work and charge 40% commission when they pass it on), then getting fired from them for breaching confidentiality (he tried to sue them, but they had small print that said even if he won, it would be counted as earnings and they would take a huge percentage back!), then about that time meeting this self-employed man who was banging in bathrooms and en-suites in new-build flats along the south coast. They do one or one and a half, or two bathrooms per day, which are ready tiled for them,(sometimes they have to chase in and re-tile as the rooms aren't always square, which adds a couple of hours),as someone pointed out it is all press-fit plastic and silicone and top-quality taps, fittings, etc,so it is very fast and reliable, total turnover is 250k, my mate gets 48-54k gross per year, the boss is building a pot so he can retire in a couple of years, age 50.I have been thinking of doing something similar myself, but it won't work out like that for me, it depended on the luck of meeting someone who already had a lucrative opening sewn up, and the luck of that person getting in as main subcontractor.The boss does declare all his earnings . I know other very skilled tradesmen who struggle, especially down here in Devon. Part of it is his cheeky charm and his willingness to take on more difficult work than he can manage, the end result being he is thought of as a great bloke and great value. He has done 2 half-day jobs for me, and afterwards, when I exclude the smoke and tea breaks and the journeys to the local DIY, he has spent just over an hour on each job-for example, when fitting my new bath, he spent 30 mins screwing on the legs, taps, waste and overflow with liberal silicone (mine), 40 mins positioning the bath with my help, then, while I went out to the cash point, he connected the taps with speed-fits, new trap to the bath and connected waste. I was pleased to give him £90, because the job was done, bath in, same day (actually, same morning) as I asked him to help. So that is how he makes his living. Of course, the key fact, is that he did it straight away-that is how he and his boss secure jobs. None of this "I'll fit you in next week". If, as a plumber, you can do the job TODAY, you'll earn top dollar and be worth it.I could have done it myself, but it would probably have taken all day, the fact that he said he would come round and sort it straight away made him worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
I'm a bit lost with this but to confirm it's...
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
You will have almost certainly have a "non...
Replies
Views
Hi Josh, Hope you don't mind me asking but...
Replies
Views
Back