Please help - how to connect flow & return pipe work correctly | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Please help - how to connect flow & return pipe work correctly in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Thanks for your reply gents. Agree that normally you shouldn't need to ptfe or LSX the joint but I think some of these fittings are poorly machined sometimes. Just so we're clear, the leak was on the 'dead side' of the TRV - the tail with olive into the horizontal part of the TRV.

Also, I mentioned in here before that there is a bypass valve made up by a isolator screw type...shitty cheap thing. I want to get rid of the radiator in the kitchen that this thing is under all together but want to know if I can connect back into the return from the flow but connecting a 15mm auto bypass? Boiler is Valliant Ecotec.

Picture of existing pipe work attached. So I'm basically asking can I connect the flow pipe (bottom pipe with drain cock) to the one above (return) using elbow fittings and auto bypass?

Thanks ever so much folks.

20171003_074706.jpg

20171003_074645.jpg

So I'm basically asking can I connect the flow pipe (bottom pipe with drain cock) to the one above (return) using elbow fittings and auto bypass?

Provided that the pipework you are suggesting is always flowing when your central heating is on (i.e. you don't have a multiple heating zone system), I can't see why not. Some people say the bypass should be before the zone valves, but I can't see why you'd have insufficient flow through a cylinder coil, only likely to happen on a radiator circuit. No doubt someone will disagree?

If you have one of the new clever computerised pumps running on proportional pressure or Autoadapt, I'd fit a gate valve as a fixed bypass rather than an auto bypass though.

Thanks guys. It's a Valliant eco tec 23 combi boiler. If it has a integral bypass valve will that be ok? Other than that I could just leave all TRV on radiators on no 1 setting for example?

Thanks very much

TRVs on rads can shut down so that's why you need a bypass on all-TRV systems. If the boiler has its own bypass then that external bypass is confusing me. I'm wondering if it has a valid technical raison d'etre, or if it was installed in a misguided attempt to ?

TRVs on rads can shut down so that's why you need a bypass on all-TRV systems. If the boiler has its own bypass then that external bypass is confusing me. I'm wondering if it has a valid technical raison d'etre, or if it was installed in a misguided attempt to ?

alot of internal bypass block very easily due to the small dia of the pass through

Ok guys. So if you were me would you be installing a auto bypass valve on the system even though there is an internal one? I'm not sure whether or not the isolater valve was there before the combi boiler was installed back in 2015.

If you have all trvs yes I would install an external bypass always

Thanks for your input guys. Can I therefore ask from the pictures I've sent how I go about taking the radiator off of the wall and then add an auto bypass? Can I go from 15mm to 22mm (ABV is obviously 22mm) then back to 15mm? I'm just a little unsure whether or not I can just connect the flow to the return putting a ABV in between them as the radiator isn't serving any other rads along the way.

Please advise. Thank you.

Any chance of a pic of the boiler ?

Thanks mate. I'm not at home but I can confirm that the boiler is a Valliant Ecotec 28 combi boiler. Do you you need a photo of the pipe work underneath or something?

Thanks again

That would be great

Thanks buddy I will do. Valliant technical dept said on the phone that their combi boilers don't need an additional AVB - I'm on their system boilers so not sure what to do! I basically wanted to cap off the flow and return and the radiator and pipes are not serving any other rads.

Will get a picture asap mate.

Ok guys. So if you were me would you be installing a auto bypass valve on the system even though there is an internal one? I'm not sure whether or not the isolater valve was there before the combi boiler was installed back in 2015.

I thought we had discussed this ?

Is that drain tap in full socket?

Similar plumbing topics

Pipework looks fine maybe try balancing the rads ?
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If I understand this correctly, what you're...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How did you go about heating the extension in...
Replies
Views
Behind the control panel the cylinder unit...
Replies
Views
Back