Please help - now desperate - noisy megaflo system | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Please help - now desperate - noisy megaflo system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sammypow

Hi

We have just had a new megaflo system installed, approx 6 weeks ago. We are at a loss as to what to do. There is a noise when the taps/shower/bath/kitchen tap is turned on first thing in the morning or first thing in the afternoon once the water has been done. This noise is very loud and is a low drone grrrrrr sound and then kinda of whizzes of high pitch sound. It comes from the loft where the megaflow system is. It is so loud the neighour at the end of terrace can hear it.

The plumber who fitted the system has been back several times and he is now at a loss as to what it is. He has checked the pressure relief valve, has fitted pressure gauges has checked flow rates he has even turned the expansion tank from a vertical position to a horizontal position. He has drained the system down twice.

The most frustrating thing about this noise is that it does not occur every day!! Not sure why it comes and goes!!! It is very sparodic and comes and goes but only when taps are turned on!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

checked the pressure reducing valve? could whistle through that.
Is it when any tap is turned on or just a hot tap?

Megaflows usually have an internal expansion (bubble top) if the noise is is coming from the unit itself it could be a damaged baffle which holds the air bubble. It will sound worse when no water has been drawn of due to the added pressure build up. Maybe contact Megaflow is best.

Can you post pictures of the cylinder & control valves / pipework, I know it means a trip into that cold loft but it is the easiest way to see what it is & how it has been piped up.

If it is occurring after the water has been heated it is most likely due to the difference in pressure created between the hot & cold sides.

It's not a "Mega Flow" if your plumber has changed the orientation of the expansion vessle as you say.

Mega Flows don't have an external expansion vessle but an integral one. They are the market leaders, and because of this a lot of people call unvented cylinders "Mega Flows" in the same way some people say "Hoover" instead of vacume cleaner.

This is important as Mega Flows in my experience have far less noise issues than standard unvented cylinders.

I answered a list of possible things to try with a noisy cylinder the other week. I will try to track down the post I made and copy N paste it here for you.

Found it:

Things I found it can be.....

1/The PRV is knackered and over pressurising the system.
2/ A mixer (monoblock tap or even a shower cartridge) is supplied by unbalanced feeds, and the cold is back filling the system, and over pressurising it.
3/ The expansion vessel is flat,punctured.
4/ Pipe work is loose, and vibrating.
5/ A valve on the system has a loose jumped and is vibrating. Loo's can often be the culprit.

6/Orientation of vessle can also apparently make a difference (not been a problem I've come across though.

7/As can if EV is connected with a flexi hose (flexi hoses often have a smaller internal diameter than a copper tube but are supplied with some cylinders and not seen as an issue by many). I've had a issue with one cylinder and hard plumbing the connection to the EV solved it.

8/Finally, some vessels have a restriction in the MI connection. The compression to MI union can cause issues (and infact did cause an issue on a cylinder I installed, and the new EV from the manufacturer solved that issue as it was connected straight to a comp fitting. Hard to explain I know.

Last edited:
From your original description, it sounds like the noise occurs after the water has been heated up, and the hot taps having not been used for a period of time.
Does the noise only occur the first time the tap is opened? If you open the same (or any another) hot tap a few minutes later, do you get the noise again?

Also, when you first open the hot tap, is there an initial burst of water at a higher pressure?

My initial thought is some problem with the floating baffle/air gap within the Megaflo.

Was it the cylinder that was drained down twice, or was it the heating system?

The OP has said that their installer has changed the orientantion of the expansion vessel. Therefore it is not a Mega Flow cylinder. I did point this out right at the beginning.

The OP has said that their installer has changed the orientantion of the expansion vessel. Therefore it is not a Mega Flow cylinder. I did point this out right at the beginning.

It could be a Megaflo solar, which does have a external expansion vessel.

If the plumber is at a loss and has checked the expansion vessel, get him to replace it. I've had a few Range Tribune cylinders come with faulty expansion vessels which seemed to make a vibration when a hot tap was first opened after the cylinder reached temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be a Megaflo solar, which does have a external expansion vessel.

If the plumber is at a loss and has checked the expansion vessel, get him to replace it. I've had a few Range Tribune cylinders come with faulty expansion vessels which seemed to make a vibration when a hot tap was first opened after the cylinder reached temperature.

I'm pretty certain the OP would have mentioned it if it was a solar cylinder, plus the expansion vessel would be on primary side and would not cause a noise issue when the hot tap is run.

The vessel on the Megaflo solars are on the cold inlet to the cylinder same place as any other make of unvented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Photos of the cylinder which is located in...
Replies
Views
Would be good to see the install but I’d be...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
  • Question
Thank you Shaun, I think you may be right with...
Replies
Views
Back