Plumbers no longer required | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumbers no longer required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyplumb

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Did you hear the latest news, due to recession people are cutting down on hot water usage & doing without baths/ showers. The dirty brass-tards. I know times are hard but how much are they gonna save doing this. I think i'll look for another line of work now.

shame johnnyjoiner/johnnyshopassistant, i wish you luck with your new career:D

Back in the 60's in my youth I done my time as an apprentice plumber and the cry then was that "Plastics are coming, they wont need plumbers" How wrong they were. I left the trade before the plastics but many of my friends stuck with it . Many started their own businesses and now run around in Porche's. I run around in a 10 year old heap! Enough said!

Its difficult to argue with Charlie, because he is a success. But we would have to be mad to think that what he says is generalisable. His situation represents a skewed sample of the general workforce - he makes vast profits in a very competative market, so the demands on his work-force will be hectic to say the least. He will be demanding the best workers, at the lowest prices, who work the hardest, and everyone will be expected to perform in that way.

In our work culture, the only ones who seem to be working like dogs are the self-employed. Its just not expected if you are cards-in - and here lies the problem.

Successful people who are excellent at everything; they have a world-view that expects the same from others. Well, Charlie, some of us have a life, and choose not to bust a gut to boost the profit margins of others - we don't all want this way of life, nor do many of us want to contribute to it.

I thought Charlie had proclaimed himself as a Plumbing Guru, the representative voice of the people - I feel let down by this article, it does nothing for British Workers and lets face it, his anecdotes are never going to point out his own failings are they. When you are as good as he thinks he is, nothing or no-one is ever going to come up to his mark.

I'm sure Paddington Bear was on to something when he said he washed in dry water ...

Did you hear the latest news, due to recession people are cutting down on hot water usage & doing without baths/ showers. The dirty brass-tards. I know times are hard but how much are they gonna save doing this. I think i'll look for another line of work now.
Ah well, aw you smelly Weegies didny take baths anyway. Get intae water saving business, you'll aw be experts at it!
LOL

charlies foriegn workers are buying a house in a year back home and will go back once they have their property empire for most of us were here for the long term and even working like a dog it would take five times as long at least to buy a house
its no difference to the seventies when plumbers were going to the middle east for huge sums doing 4 years tax free and comming back loaded i nearly went myself but she was against it

Say the average bath was filled with 80 litres of hot water @65º and the incoming cold was at 15º
4.19 x 80 x 50 (65-15) = 16760kJ = 4.66kw/h
Electric @15p/kw/h =68p Gas @6p/kw/h =28p 80% efficient boiler = 35p
10 or 20 baths for the price of a bottle of buckfast. Bet they don't grudge spending it on the bucky!!

They'll be plenty deep bath replacement jobs doon Airdrie way then, it's no called the buckfast capital of britain nothing,

sick of reading how loaded plumbers are ,ive to find one yet and thats why there all packing there jobs in to become plumbers only to find theres no work or its not all its cracked up to be when theyve spent £4000 on a course and no work so they go self employed and thats as bad

just read in the paper BG are getting rid of loads of apprentices

hmmm,

I think there is more to this story then meets the eye.

Pimlico Plumbers want a Time served apprenticeship Plumber.

This means 5 year apprenticeship plus 5 years experience after training.

So 10 years as a plumber.

Now call me silly but if you had been doing it for 10 years then you would either be loyal to the person who trained you up and spent all that time and money training you up or you would be self employed.

However if you are foreign you have experience and time served in another country and recieving £1 per hour for it, you would be more then happy recieving £15 per hour here.

And whilst on the subject, Why is it that i can not find an english doctor?
my son was born by a foreign doctor, when I am ill I see a foreign doctor, I go to hospital for a broken leg, foreign doctor.
Where are all the english doctors?

hmmm,

I think there is more to this story then meets the eye.

Pimlico Plumbers want a Time served apprenticeship Plumber.

This means 5 year apprenticeship plus 5 years experience after training.

So 10 years as a plumber.

Now call me silly but if you had been doing it for 10 years then you would either be loyal to the person who trained you up and spent all that time and money training you up or you would be self employed.

However if you are foreign you have experience and time served in another country and recieving £1 per hour for it, you would be more then happy recieving £15 per hour here.

And whilst on the subject, Why is it that i can not find an english doctor?
my son was born by a foreign doctor, when I am ill I see a foreign doctor, I go to hospital for a broken leg, foreign doctor.
Where are all the english doctors?
They have gone to Canada, Austrailia or tend to become Gp's rather than stay in the hospitals. Grass is always greener and all that pish.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.they have all retrained as plumbers

Charlie has forgotten how lucky he has been and starting to believe his own publicity

imho

No.they have all retrained as plumbers

Charlie has forgotten how lucky he has been and starting to believe his own publicity

imho

to true there puddle,its only a matter of time when they start believing there own BS

That is not how it works.

When your time is out (finished apprenticeship) most will hang around for a year or 2 then move on. If you were to stay there sometimes you will always be treated like a laddie which will never bring out your full potential. Everyone, even your employer knows the best thing for you to do is move on.
After jumping around a few different places and gaining experience in many different things, some may feel they are ready and good enough to go se but that is not for everyone and sometimes you will make much more money being employed.
Others may just settle down somewhere secure and stable and be happy to dodge away while others will chase the money from company to company. If you are good, the jobs will find you.

People entering the trade now are doing it back to front which is one reason why it seldom works out well.

A couple of guys i know recently got involved in a bidding war between 2 companies and their existing employer for their services. We were joking and calling it the big transfer. One day it was on the next they were staying.
At the end of the day they moved and went with the biggest offer which bumped their wages up by over £200 a week but they are good at what they do.

I came out my time on the Thursday and left on the Friday, they did alright of the deal as I more than paid for myself over the time I was there ,went up to Nig Bay, instrument pipefitting, there a week and was taking part in my first strike, only for a day, think a big game on, was a bit like that then, any big game or race on and site on half day strike, mind you in those days you could walk from one job to another, maybe part on the reason foreign workers were brought in in the first place

imho

Just a thought,
I am 47 years old and is it wrong that I only want to work 40-50 hours a week?
For this I expect to earn a living wage, by this I mean about £30K per year ish.

I would like to think I am good at this job but I also like to strike a happy balance between my work and social life.
I know I could work 17 hours a day and earn more but I don't want too.

Whats going on with this country that I feel I have to work all hours God sends just to justify myself and stop myself being made redundant by a 20 years old foreign import?

I was until recently self employed but due to lack of regular work I have now taken a job with a national company working social housing.
Even now I have just been told they are changing our core hours from 8-5 to 8-8 and it is counted as a minor change to the contract and there is nothing we can do about it except walk.

Thats an extra 15 hours a week? (we already work over the contracted hours).

I don't want to work myself into an early grave and I think my wage is fair as I earn the company far more but does this make me lazy?

Im beginning to wonder if its me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes I totally agree. I'm convinced this has...
2 3
Replies
Views
Evening all, I'm on the prowl for a plumbers...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
It’s Friday night and I’m having a drink...
Replies
Views
Back