Plumbing help in kitchen needed - can't turn water back on! | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumbing help in kitchen needed - can't turn water back on! in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi there,

I've recently done the plumbing in my newly renovated bathroom and thought I'd have a go at the renovated kitchen. All was going well until I managed to move a 15mm cold water pipe and cause the stopcock to drip! I managed to stop the drip but am nervous about continuing to experiment! If I mess up the stopcock I'm seriously messed up. I really didn't want to call a plumber in if possible as I'm trying to learn from my mistakes

. image.jpg

So, my gas man had encouraged me to use quick fit plumbing fittings and I wanted to simply add a 15mm equal tee to the cold water line for my new dishwasher. I bought the Speedfit part and when I tried to fit it...things went downhill.

i carefully measured where to cut the pipe and tried to get both ends onto the pipe and then screw it back together...but without success.

I'm sure I've made a massive mess...and I now have no water because I can't put it back together!

Please see the attached photo and advise if you can.

Thanks a lot,

Taryn

(I thought about adding a few elbows which could work but would be completely bizarre and messy I'm sure).

So interesting....I'm a recent convert to the joys of plumbing and am trying to learn all I can. That makes sense with compression fittings as I wondered why most of them didn't have tape. Can you use too much tape? It seems that sometimes I have put too much and it doesn't screw in that much. If it doesn't leak I guess that's okay! Also, is it standard practice to tape the olive rather than the screw bit? Thanks!

Good point regarding olives and out of spec. fittings. Becoming more common in recent years.

thats why i only use Kuterlite a tad more but least if it leaks its your own fault and not some cheap fitting

I tape every olive on my compression fittings. No point having a leak for the sake of it! It has saved me many many times in the past.

I`m with you here, taking into account mine are all old joints which I`ve undone I always add 2 wraps of PTFE around the olive for peace of mind, don`t wanna have to go back because of a slight weep, also find it less messy than a paste.

Some fittings are nowhere near as good as they used to be and guess you`ve never taken an old joint apart and looked at the mating face`s then.

too true they dont make them like the good old days

When the fitting is in an awkward spot and you cant be bothered to struggle getting tape round the olive, you immediately regret it when you turn the water on lol! A TINY drip that doesn't ever stop..

With a little practise you can tear a 2" strip off the reel if it makes it easier to get it on the olive.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I got one from a local shop for £120. Go to a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Hi Brooke, can you upload a photo, as this...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
T
  • Question
Sounds OK so long as the heating system is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Dear ShaunCorbs, Merry Christmas to you and...
Replies
Views
Back