Plumbing tools | Plumbing Tools | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumbing tools in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

K

KyMasters

I'm currently doing my level 2 and building up my tool collection so I have everything when I've finished the course.

Could you all tell me tools I need and tools it's good to have for certain situations.

Please & thanks!

For basic plumbing here's what I can remember from what I take to most jobs. Note: these are tools not sundries :)
Wet/dry vac
Pipe slices - good ones
plastic pipe cutters - pushfit and waste pipe
Pipe benders - ickle one for microbore, big one for proper pipe
Electric adjustables - I love mine, proper bling tool that is.
Real adjustables cos the leccy ones are OK 'til it's a stubborn nut.
Conex spanner 15/22
Bungs
SDS drill
Good 18v/24v drill
A poo drill - i.e. a black and decker or similar that you don't mind breaking, or use as a leccy screwdriver
Multitool
Angle grinder
Circular saw
Jigsaw
Hacksaw(s)
Tile saw
Stopcock key
Tap spanners
Box spanners
Alan keys
Hex keys
Water pump pliers
Stillsons
Moleys
Footprints - if that's your bag
De-burring tool
Lump hammer
Claw hammer
Multiple files
Mulriple chisels
Angled screwdrivers
Old toothbrush
An old fork with the last 3mm of the prongs bent at 90 degrees with pliers to lift carpet edges
A Stanley screwdriver where the main bezel pops out and there's 2 reversible posi and flathead inserts - my bestest screwdriver ever...
Wire-type paint-removing drill bits - to be used in the afore-mentioned poo drill.
It's 03:39 and I'm sure I've missed loads off that list but it might be a decent starting point :)

In addition to list above:

Stanley knife
Spirit levels
Pliers
Pencil
Felt pen
Blow torch
Spare gas
Solder
Flux
Heat mat
Scissors
Plasters
Insulating tape
Multimeter
Push fit stop ends
La-co slictite
Loctite 55
PTFE
Funnel
Pump and pressure gauge
Weir gauge
Long schraeder valve
Pressure tester
Drill bits 1.5mm to 10mm
Various larger drill bits
Tile bit
Tile cutter
Trowel
Tile trowel
Mixer
Buckets
Towels
Abrasive pads/wire wool
Spare pencil for lending to customer
Spare pencil for lending to builder
Spare pencil for lending to electrician
Spare pencil for lending to joiner
WD40
Torch
Toolboxes
Organiser boxes

You can easily spend £000's if you don't watch yourself. I've just bought 7 screwdrivers, 4 pliers, small Knipex pump pliers and a thin bladed Bahco spanner with a few other bits (biros, scissors, latex gloves) and spent something like £200.

For £200 you could buy a whole cheap, hand toolkit then replace the worst tools for better quality ones as and when you start making profits. This will give you a decent tool as well as an old tool that you don't mind getting mucky. For example, I use an old pipe cutter when cutting existing pipes and a new one for clean copper tube.

I spent around £300 when I got going and added to my tools as and when I required them and probably have around £1,500 worth now. You don't NEED a wet vac but it does make some jobs much easier. Ice cream containers and towels are just as good, if a little slower. You don't NEED Bahco spanners and Knipex pump pliers on your first few jobs but when you use them instead of cheapies, you'll be glad you did. Only when you start working will you know what tools you really want and really need. Before you get going it is quite a guessing game. You'll also meet other people and wish you had spent your money on something else instead.

Cashflow is so important when you get going and the more cash you put into assets (tools) the less you have for all your other business expenses. You can make good profits but can still go bankrupt with a poor cashflow policy.

What sort of work do you expect to be doing at first?

When I was doing maintenance plumbing I was able to complete 90% of jobs with a basic tool roll that contained a set of screw drivers, adjustables, water pump pliers and a compression nut spanner!

Now I'm meter installing I have two tool bags, one for leccy meters and one for gas meters. Makes it easier in and out of customers houses them dragging a huge tool box in and out.

i could give you a list, but i cant be @rsed, here's a better way, a bird's eye view of what you might need. 001.jpg

i've got another box of tricks in the van, but what you see in the picture should do you for most jobs.

I'm on a level two as well and have built quite a good kit already.
Most of the stuff is obvious. You use it in college

The stuff we don't use that I've acquired are

Tap spanners
Mono block tap spanners
18 v combi drill
Angle grinder
Jigsaw
Long screw drivers
Knipex grips
Small adjustables are a godsend

Everything I use in college I already own.
I've also. Been spending a fiver a week in plum fix building up an array of fittings etc.

In addition to list above:

Stanley knife
Spirit levels
Pliers
Pencil
Felt pen
Blow torch
Spare gas
Solder
Flux
Heat mat
Scissors
Plasters
Insulating tape
Multimeter
Push fit stop ends
La-co slictite
Loctite 55
PTFE
Funnel
Pump and pressure gauge
Weir gauge
Long schraeder valve
Pressure tester
Drill bits 1.5mm to 10mm
Various larger drill bits
Tile bit
Tile cutter
Trowel
Tile trowel
Mixer
Buckets
Towels
Abrasive pads/wire wool
Spare pencil for lending to customer
Spare pencil for lending to builder
Spare pencil for lending to electrician
Spare pencil for lending to joiner
WD40
Torch
Toolboxes
Organiser boxes

You can easily spend £000's if you don't watch yourself. I've just bought 7 screwdrivers, 4 pliers, small Knipex pump pliers and a thin bladed Bahco spanner with a few other bits (biros, scissors, latex gloves) and spent something like £200.

For £200 you could buy a whole cheap, hand toolkit then replace the worst tools for better quality ones as and when you start making profits. This will give you a decent tool as well as an old tool that you don't mind getting mucky. For example, I use an old pipe cutter when cutting existing pipes and a new one for clean copper tube.

I spent around £300 when I got going and added to my tools as and when I required them and probably have around £1,500 worth now. You don't NEED a wet vac but it does make some jobs much easier. Ice cream containers and towels are just as good, if a little slower. You don't NEED Bahco spanners and Knipex pump pliers on your first few jobs but when you use them instead of cheapies, you'll be glad you did. Only when you start working will you know what tools you really want and really need. Before you get going it is quite a guessing game. You'll also meet other people and wish you had spent your money on something else instead.

Cashflow is so important when you get going and the more cash you put into assets (tools) the less you have for all your other business expenses. You can make good profits but can still go bankrupt with a poor cashflow policy.

Thanks mate. Got most of those things jotted down for when i make a big order at the end of next month.
Cheers for the advice also, will keep all in mind!

I'm on a level two as well and have built quite a good kit already.
Most of the stuff is obvious. You use it in college

The stuff we don't use that I've acquired are

Tap spanners
Mono block tap spanners
18 v combi drill
Angle grinder
Jigsaw
Long screw drivers
Knipex grips
Small adjustables are a godsend

Everything I use in college I already own.
I've also. Been spending a fiver a week in plum fix building up an array of fittings etc.

In college we use basic tools that need repairing constantly.
purchased 20V Combi Drill last week and 101pc drill kit. Very impressed i must say.

I've got a couple fittings but after working with a few plumbers i've learnt it's best to take the customer with you when buying materials and buy a pack of fittings whilst there so all costs are covered

When you becolme a real tradesman you will spend £100's a year on tools and maybe more It can become an obsession. Some stuff i buy i bin the same day becasuse although it may look good, practically it is junk. I never use junk tools because they cost me money.
Buy what you can afford at the time then buy the best when you can afford it.

DKIA i see you bought yourself a set of Knipex. No more sore fingers from slipped grips :wink:

Your not really gonna take a customer with you to buy a bag of elbows and a tube of silicone though.

I suppose i'll put all that stuff in the van when i start driving but at the moment i think before i buy more fittings i need more tool boxes / organisers because what i have at the moment is starting to get full

The smallish Stanley organisers with the partitions inside are great for fittings and were on 2 for 1 in Wickes last week...
Well worth buying a few to keep stuff together. I have a load of them to keep fitting seperated by kind (end feed / solder ring / comp) and then sorted by type inside...
Seems really anal and OCD when you're setting it all up, but makes life sooo much easier in the long run when you need that 1 obscure fitting that you know you have in the van somewhere!

I use http://www.stanleytools.co.uk/product/147656 for fittings etc. I've got 6 of them for 15 and 22 end feed and compression, screws and pipe clips. Makes life so much easier when you are looking for fittings and helps you to see when you are getting low on fittings. It speeds up your work flow no end when you can lay your hands on fittings etc. quickly. I've worked with guys who chuck all their fittings in a bucket and it takes them forever to find the right one.

The smallish Stanley organisers with the partitions inside are great for fittings and were on 2 for 1 in Wickes last week...
Well worth buying a few to keep stuff together. I have a load of them to keep fitting seperated by kind (end feed / solder ring / comp) and then sorted by type inside...
Seems really anal and OCD when you're setting it all up, but makes life sooo much easier in the long run when you need that 1 obscure fitting that you know you have in the van somewhere!
The 2 for 1 deal is still on and it is also in the latest wickes catalogue

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I managed it in the end, and for anyone one...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Went with both options, my new bacho wide grip...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Same here. There are times you just cannot...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I am writing my master's thesis at...
Replies
Views
Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
Back