Plumbing tools | Plumbing Tools | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumbing tools in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

K

KyMasters

I'm currently doing my level 2 and building up my tool collection so I have everything when I've finished the course.

Could you all tell me tools I need and tools it's good to have for certain situations.

Please & thanks!

Footprints just look really bulky compared to my knipex grips. I've never used footprints. Do they seem as awkward and bulky to use as they look. They do have a hell of a good reputation on this forum though so they can't be bad? I'll have to keep an eye out at the car boots for a pair i can try out

Footprints are bulkier and can't really be compared to pump pliers. You can hit them with a hammer, use them as a hammer, and even use them as a screwdriver and sometimes they will get in to get another turn on a fitting where nothing else will. They should really be a part of every tool kit.

Hi ALL,
Anone out there ever used these small hand crossbow wratchet 'crossover' pipe benders at all. Seen one in a video on YouTube and wonder if they are any use?. Look like they might save a bit of time, especially on Gas?. I am starting my Gas Safe shortly with OLCI. Also, anyone heard anything about them, if the are any good?. Or, is there anyone out there on, or who has passed a course with them?. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks folks. David.

Yea my cobra opens pretty far. Apart from these I've only used the traditional style grips that are cheap bulky and finger pinching, so I can't comment on the alligators. Id like to try a pair tho, maybe in 10 years when my cobra wears out.... Or sooner if I lose them

The cobras have a push button operation and more settings and slightly thinner jaws. I prefer alligators as they are quicker to set to the correct size but i have both. The new alligators open up to the same as cobras (you can do a pump nut with a 250mm set).

2 junior hacksaws, 2 large hacksaws, 2 of 15,22,28mm pipe slice, 1x 10mm pipe slice, 1 small adjustable pipe cutter 6-30mm copper, 1 med adjustable pipe cutter upto 2 1/2"copper, 1 speedfit cutter, 1 rothenberger waste cutter, pad saw, rip saw, cir saw, grinder, mitre saw, bosch gop, jigsaw, and a couple of wood saws.

2 junior hacksaws, 2 large hacksaws, 2 of 15,22,28mm pipe slice, 1x 10mm pipe slice, 1 small adjustable pipe cutter 6-30mm copper, 1 med adjustable pipe cutter upto 2 1/2"copper, 1 speedfit cutter, 1 rothenberger waste cutter, pad saw, rip saw, cir saw, grinder, mitre saw, bosch gop, jigsaw, and a couple of wood saws.

You forgot stanley knife and axe :smile:

I've just read something quite disturbing here,

'take customer with you, when buying bits' 'customer insists on coming'

If I had a customer insist on coming with me I'll make him a list and he can go on his own! that way he pays customer price at the suppliers not trade and he never knows what I pay! And why should he? he doesn't build up a rapport with the supplier or spend thousands with him, why should the customer benefit?

As for taking customer with me are you mad! this journey to my suppliers is respite from the inane chatter that you'll get on the way (at my cost!),

I very rarely have to go to the supplier when on a job, I despise it, dead time! time there, time back, time in the shop, time I'm not on the job. The customer doesn't need to know (or probably cares) how much your paying for an elbow etc.

This IMO is not good, if you pay £45 for a mono block tap and then £6 for flexis, as an example (sorry system 3), a bit of copper a couple of iso valves a few joints (not the smoking type), £5-10 sundries (gas, solder etc) parts are close to £60, the customer will then start asking is the rest of the stuff necessary? you've just given him a parts checklist! All they'll see is £45 for the tap which would have cost them £60-65!

If I think a part is expensive and will shock the customer I get my supplier to print a receipt or estimate of the part to show to the customer, (customers price not my price)

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I managed it in the end, and for anyone one...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Went with both options, my new bacho wide grip...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Same here. There are times you just cannot...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I am writing my master's thesis at...
Replies
Views
Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
Back