Poor quality pipe work leading to gully | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Poor quality pipe work leading to gully in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

A few days ago I posted a thread about a broken rainwater gully ( which I thought was called a hopper). I enclose a link to photos of the pipework draining into this. Is it me, or is this substandard work? If you have two downpipes for rainwater, wouldn't you drain one into the other in order to minimise the number of pipes at the outlet? I'm not an expert, but it looks very amateurish to me.

Stivulya / Стивуля

Depends on the volume of water going down the pipes. Yours appear to be draining two valley gutters, so could have quite high volumes of water each from both sides of a large pitched roof. If the pipes couldn't contain the flow, they'd back up and the gutters would overflow. It would have been neater looking to take the right hand pipe into its own gulley connected to the drainage system, but there may well be good reasons why this was not done.

If you want to make it look better, consider changing the white pipes for black ones (or painting the pipes) as black looks less conspicuous. May require freeholder's consent.

Thanks steadyon. It's not mine - it's the neighbour's. 6 students live in the house, formerly a 3-bedroom, like mine. The owner, apparently lives 30 miles away, and I've never met him. I suspect a new gully wasn't installed purely on financial grounds. It's not the look of it that interests me, it's the fact that 3 separate pipes have to drain into the gully, making it a bit crowded.

Thanks for sharing the entire photo album with us Steve :oops:

Just waiting now for somebody to pass comment on the flue near the window in IMG_0091 :eek:

Looks too close to call but think its just in (within regs)

Similar plumbing topics

D
Yeah, it’s Viva training academy. Roy’s an...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Btw - bloke from ST said can't tell me any...
Replies
Views
Theres nothing so fanciful on these traps...
Replies
Views
Jeff the lonesome
J
B
  • Question
I think Bazzy is on holidays? It would be...
Replies
Views
C
Well if that happens, I'll dig up replace...
Replies
Views
cammy0102
C
Back