Potterton EP2002 - C/H Timer Not Working after short circuit | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Potterton EP2002 - C/H Timer Not Working after short circuit in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

J

judge

I developed a fault on my Potterton system as a direct result of trying to change the in room stat (Potterton PRT2) with a new Honeywell DT90e whilst decorating my living room. I wired the new stat incorrectly which blew the 3amp fuse on the fuse spur next to the Potterton EP2002 programmer. I replaced the fuse and reinstalled the previous stat as it was wired before.

I turned the fuse spur back on and the programmer seems to be working ok, all the lights come on, the program has been saved and the sliders and lights seem work. However the stat in the room now stays permanently on (previously it would only light up if the programmer was on or it was set to Timed and within the time setting) – triggering the Potterton boiler when the temp drops below the desired temp regardless of the setting on the programmer (C/H is switched off at the programmer and the stat is always on and controlling the boiler based on the set temp).

I suspect I have either rewired something incorrectly or I have blown something on the circuit board. I suspect that the problem is either the programmer (Potterton EP2002) or the thermostat (Potterton PRT2) – can anyone advise which one is likely to be damaged if I blew the fuse by shorting the wires at the thermostat? (connecting neutral to linked live :s)

I have a new thermostat (Honeywell DT90e) which I could swap out if the thermostat is at fault – however as the new stat is a digital and only has room for 2 wires instead of the 3 in the PRT2 – I am reluctant to mess around with it further without some reassurance. The other option is to purchase a new programmer with the same base plate – however I would like to be sure it is at fault before spending money on a new one.

Also I have read on other forums that a mid position value (or something) could also have been impacted – but I don’t think this is the cause as the hot water works perfectly on and off timer and the central heating works fines if set manually at the stat – but I have lost the ability to it on timer.

Thanks in advance for your help and please let me know if you need any additional details about my system (I will do my best to provide)

Similar plumbing topics

3 hw on 4 htg on 5 perm live
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Academic now but I installed one of these as a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Its a very ingenious but devilishly cunning...
Replies
Views
Just happened to be rummaging around on the...
Replies
Views
Back