Power Flush - is this needed for new boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Power Flush - is this needed for new boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woody2244

Hello,
I have just had a new boiler (Vaillant) and radiators fitted. The heating engineer has said that I should have the system power flushed and can do this in a couple of weeks time for £300. The new boiler and radiators are working fine, though the radiator on the end of the loop is not heating up that well. I have a couple of questions on this:
Do I really need to power flush the system, given that it seems to be working well?
Also, if I do need to power flush, surely this should have been done at the same time as installing the new boiler and radiators, as any sediment etc may be damaging the new boiler in the meantime? Will it matter to wait the two weeks?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

system should have been flushed prior to fit all the crap from old system has now entered the new boiler and the warranty on the boiler is now void
vaillant will not honour the warrant for an incorrect install
was plumber gas safe registered and rad not heaing up could be sludge/could be air/could need balancing
all things he should have done before marching off with your money

True the boiler companies insist on power flushing but many dont, I personally feel the sludge remover and good flushing through is just as good, and less detrimental to the system.

Almost forgot make sure a magna clean has been fitted and a scale inhibitor on the inlet to the boiler helps the boiler a great deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the Aidey Magna filters, even after a flush its good to show the customer the crap its collected after a week.

After using the search function i found this thread and decided to use this one again instead of asking the same thing. So...

Started a rip our today in a property we are putting a new combi boiler into with pipework to 3 new rads whilst picking up the existing 6. Hadn't checked under the floor boards (lesson learned) and to my horror found it was a one pipe heating system. Threw our price into the blender. The builder was fine about it and has given the green light to get the pipework in order for 2 pipes. He's asked with all new pipework going in can we leave the flush now and use the money towards the extra labour and materials. I said no as a flush will still be required to clear the existing rads properly or i wont be able to say its been done on the benchmark certificate + the warranty voiding issues. He's putting it to his client now. Would you guy's still do the work without the flush so long as both parties are clear on the consequences to the warranty if that is the avenue they choose to go down?

why dont you just spend the day speedfitting new pipe work of the cost of flush plus materials?. same time and no failures of old pipes..

you can fit a combi on a one pipe system,at least valliant tech reckon you can,as for power flushing its not a requirement,the systewm must be cleansed but you can use sentinol x400.

thinking about it, fitted a vaillant to a one pipe in chesterfield a couple of months ago.
just have to limit the nearest rad with an iso to stop it satisfying the boiler to early. worked perfect.

you can fit a combi on a one pipe system,at least valliant tech reckon you can,as for power flushing its not a requirement,the systewm must be cleansed but you can use sentinol x400.

Yeah i have read varying reports from people who have this system along with a combi. Enough for me to not be to comfortable pressing ahead with it at this stage. Thankfully the builder and his client is happy with the extra work required to run another pipe. Cheers for the info on the sentinel/flush.

thinking about it, fitted a vaillant to a one pipe in chesterfield a couple of months ago.
just have to limit the nearest rad with an iso to stop it satisfying the boiler to early. worked perfect.

Thanks again i will keep this in mind for future.

Have to say, it might work fitting a new boiler on a 1-pipe system. But why do it? Whats the cost of installing a new boiler? How much extra is it to run the additional pipe, especially if the floor's being lifted?

I thought 1-pipe systems weren't that effective/efficient in supplying heat to rads, so why stick a high efficiency boiler on a seriously low efficiency system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, it might be worth phoning the boiler...
Replies
Views
Thanks, yes I will ask him when he comes in a...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hardly surprising BG do a lot of power flushes...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back