Pre-Heat, does it work ...? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pre-Heat, does it work ...? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

D

diamondgas

Thought it could be interesting to hear your views on the pre-heat function many boilers have. Are you aware of any appliance that benefits from its function? I can't think of any that have overcome the ignition sequence lag between recognising that a demand for hot water has been made to full flame and heating the water in the plate hex!

All the appliances I've experiences offer a nice 'bullet' of hot water then it cools down before returning hot once more!

Is it pointless and a waste of money keeping the plate hex hot?

What ar your thought? Any good experiences?

Steve

FItting a proper system springs to mind

But my view is pointless purely because I hate combis (with the exception on repairs)

Not a bad idea in theory IMO but I wonder if there is any benefit in the boiler firing up periodically even during the night.
A waste of gas and electric IMO

Just a nice wee annoyance for the customer when it fires up at 2 am..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pre-heat's been around some time, Vokera Linea springs to mind! I just wonder why manufacturers incorporate it when it doesn't seem to work. Ideal still have it on their Logic's I believe! Not sure of any others?

its not a necessesity in this country but invaluble in colder climes where water comes in at much lower temperatures

If it worked I'd agree steve but I don't know of any that do! By the time the boiler has lit up the plate hex is filled with cold water so the process of heating up starts at whatever temperature the cold mains is in my experience all it gives the custard is a pint of hot water then back to warming up to temp..! I've measured the cold in this country down to 6[SUP]o[/SUP]C ... That's pretty cold brrrrrrrrrr :)

when i do a new combi swop, one of the things some customers notice afterwards is, the hot water coming through quicker than it did before.

so if there saying this without me prompting them, pre heat must work.

Definitely in the Logic+ and it works well as the thing lights very quickly. I have come across other boilers where the above-mentioned scenario of hot-cooler-hot again is more typical.

when i do a new combi swop, one of the things some customers notice afterwards is, the hot water coming through quicker than it did before.

so if there saying this without me prompting them, pre heat must work.

On the other hand it could just be that the higher pressure of a combi is giving a better flow rate than the replaced gravity feed and hence it takes less time to come through.... or ding you mean swapping an old combi with a new combi?

I only set it if the boiler seems a long way from the taps and the customer is concerned about the wait for hot water but I don't reccomend it due to the extra running costs so I hardly ever do.

anyone fitted one of these Combisave

i dont know much about them but it might be better than a pre heat

It looks like the similar principle a few manufacturers adopted years back with wax capsules inline to reduce the flow until it was actually heated up!

Regards the increase in hot to taps, maybe that's with improved technology reducing lighting up times. Coupled with pre-heat I can perceive it working but you've still got the lag of heating up the primary circuit before the transfer of heat to the plate hex! I don't know if the reduction of time for the water to get hot at the tap is due to the pre-heat. Most likely down to quicker heat transfer times in the main hex to the primaries and faster ignition recognition. Moderd condensing boilers don't have to wait for aps approval?

Pre-heat's been around some time, Vokera Linea springs to mind! I just wonder why manufacturers incorporate it when it doesn't seem to work. Ideal still have it on their Logic's I believe! Not sure of any others?

They do it to meet the water regs, which states you have to be able to get water of 50 degrees at a tap within 30 seconds I think ( could be wrong with the figures ) But that is the reason they have it.

Similar plumbing topics

Well that doesn't help at all with the question
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Which dial and how do I turn it?
Replies
Views
Martin K
M
Baxi probably updated the software via the USB...
Replies
Views
Back