Prioritising work - what do you do? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Prioritising work - what do you do? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

Masood

So crazy season is here with a vengeance - every day for the last couple of weeks I have had a full day's work in the diary, then the phone has rung for a breakdown.

I normally work on a triage system:

No heating and no hot water, elderly or kids - I will try and reschedule prebooked work.
As above but nobody vulnerable, will get there same day.
No heating but hot water available, next couple of days.

And so on. Do you do anything similar or do you not rearrange work once booked in?

First come first served for me. If I can fit in an emergency job after my main one I will do. Been doing that for 2 years now and life is a lot less stressful!

I try and leave a day free for call outs etc. if I can and will call in on the way home to others. If the jobs are out of my way I'll advise they need to wait until I'm in the area or I'll recommend a friend. At the moment I'm that busy that I'm advising people that I can't get near them for a couple of weeks unless they are an existing customer.

I like to reward loyalty, I'm not putting myself out when someone rings up and says "I have it serviced regularly" or "I can't get hold of the guy who fitted it" and easy fixes just make common sense, I don't like to get bogged down.

We are quite flexible but - try to leave Monday free for half of us.

All our regular customers know that if an urgent job comes up they will
back stopped if their job is a regular one - but we always call them.

Bluntly it works like this - regulars get 1st call 4 emergency , vulnerable next whoever they are
Police calls next (we do this) , after that we have a 365/ 24 hr contract with a care home outfit
so one of us at all times out of hours is at home - no beers.

CHK

always leave mondays free, the calls start sunday night! if it a little old lady regular, then I'll work it in, for those who are desperate, the comment what does you garage mechanic do is useful, to explain how important they ain't. Having moved people around in the past to go back to the original custard to find they have found someone available now, means I no longer bother, after all, youll be getting a call if the guy is sitting at home waiting for work, as chances are he wont have a clue anyhow! Apart from that, the most expensive/best earner also gets priority, afterall, we are in it to earn a living!

always leave mondays free, the calls start sunday night! if it a little old lady regular, then I'll work it in, for those who are desperate, the comment what does you garage mechanic do is useful, to explain how important they ain't. Having moved people around in the past to go back to the original custard to find they have found someone available now, means I no longer bother, after all, youll be getting a call if the guy is sitting at home waiting for work, as chances are he wont have a clue anyhow! Apart from that, the most expensive/best earner also gets priority, afterall, we are in it to earn a living!

Garage mechanic? What's that saying?

Similar plumbing topics

Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Im a qualified electrician and 24yr...
Replies
Views
MOSSEP
M
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
Back