Private Work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Private Work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Some of the time ive had people asking if i do free callout they get you there and then you never hear from them again.
Now i sort of interogate them when they call to clarify that if i can fix it whether its there or then or next day etc if they want will it doing. I press them.
I make it clear there will be a charge but the repair reduced once complete.

I had a run of pi$$ takers who milked my knowledge and wasted my diesel on the 'free callout but err ill think about it' diy'ers.
Now id rather be sat on my harris playing with my phone than doing free callouts on a whim.

i put a post on here a few years back when I went to look at a boiler (on my way home) which I could see was obliviously a diy install. long story short I said it needed a PCB which it didn't as it was the APS. He insisted that he would get the part then would call me to fit it. 2 days later the cheeky swine called and said that he had fitted the new PCB and the boiler was the same to which I replied it will be because its not the PCB. Ive spent so many ££££ on a new PCB for nothing he shouted down the phone I replied yes hes then told me I was a C**T I replied calmly no C**T your the C**T I still remember it vividly lol

So just an update and some feedback if poss..

The works intended are:

Cut out section of floorboards and replace twin shower pump

Resealed bath silicone seal

Fit new cartridges to wall mounted basin tap

Regrout tiles in shower/bath area

Including parts and labour I'm quoting £688.80.

Is that reasonable? Am I undercharging?

I've worked out maybe 4 hours work & £60 an hour, parts at £448 (inc my markup).

???

You can do that in 4hrs? Does that include removing the old grout?

If all goes to plan.. Possibly may take longer but the basin taps and reseal won't take long, the pump may be a bit of a bugger and the grout removal with a multi tool won't take that long.. Maybe 4-6 hours depending on how it goes.

So you could already be 2hrs down then. Not nit picking but know my jobs always take longer than my estimate mate.

So you could already be 2hrs down then. Not nit picking but know my jobs always take longer than my estimate mate.

Yeah very true... She's had a quote from another firm for just the pump and taps at £800.. Maybe I'll quote for 6 hours..

I need to get some confidence lol

Also, I've heard some people ask for part payment covering the parts when you turn up to do the job, is this normal?

Similar plumbing topics

J
  • Question
To be fair some places in London have an...
Replies
Views
J
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
They sound extremely suspect, I realise it's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You were lucky they bothered to show up. At...
Replies
Views
Back