problem with commercial boiler. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss problem with commercial boiler. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

griffdsp

This is not so much a non functioning problem, more a need it better problem.

i work at a steam museum. we currently hold steam days 5 times a year where the boiler runs for 2 days at a time. the problem is that although some of the members know how to install and operate the boiler, the technical elements as to how to fix the problem we have are not there.

The boiler is a wee chieftain 4 with mobrey water level controls

The problem we are having is the boiler runs fine and brings pressure up fine and continues to hold pressure during use but when the water level gets low it dumps loads of cold water in and the boiler is then useless for about 15 mins and we have to shut down all the engines whilst the boiler recovers and preasure comes back up.

The solution that we have come up with so far it to try to pre heat the water a bit before it enters the boiler by pumping the water through the flue gasses out of the header tank and back in again. It was originaly planed to allow it to circulate on its own using the thermo cyphening but after some discusion we stuck a centeral heating pump in there to help it along somewhat.

in conclusion (and the real question)
It could all be solved in my oppinion by adjusting the boilers water intake level so its puts less water in more oftern. The blokes here recon it cant be done but i think it should just be a case of adjusting the micro switch that controles the fill up point.

Does anyone know if this can be done or have any advice as to how to get around the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
you need a killick stoker with a water watch keeping certificate

sounds like it should work similar to instanta t boilers

from empty, they let in about a litre of water. heating element turns on and takes the water to 97 deg. it then allows a small measure of water into the "kettle" typically 20cc waits for the water temp to hit 97 deg again and then opens up some more until the tank is full of x litres and keeps it at that temperature.

it has an electric solenoid valve on the water inlet controlled by up to 5 sensors on the tank itself, deciding when to allow water in and governing the temperature.

i dont know your boiler personally, however i would check any sensors you have are not scaled up ( a common problem on the t boilers ) and that your fill up system isnt allowing all the water to go into your tank at once, leaving the boiler with a longer heat up time.

let us know how you get on.

good luck
shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable...
Replies
Views
Not if the cylinder is already satisfied, and...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back