Problematic Makita Combi and other tools | Plumbing Tools | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Problematic Makita Combi and other tools in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

D

direct-network

Anybody else got a Makita 8391
ae235

I've had mine for about 4 years and the last year has been a right pain..... First up the motor needed replacing after 3 years, then the little left hand thread screw in the bottom of the chuck needed replacing as it had done a houdini on me..... then it needed doing again, then a new motor, then a new screw and finally as of yesterday it needs a new chuck and screw...!

Now I know its my main drill, but c'mon it doesn't get that abused!

So before I take it in once again, I am looking at replacing it for a more rugged DeWalt (sorry mr makita), I'm not sure what I should go for as I only bought the makita as it was £99 at B&Q at the time....

I was looking at this DeWalt DCD985M2-GB 18V 3-Speed XR Combi Drill | NoLinkingToThis but don't really wanna spend £300 quid if I can help it.

Also as we are talking tools, is a 24v or 36v a definate requirement for SDS drills? I've got a corded one at the min and its a right palava getting the drill and transformer out the van... The only big jobs I do at the min is driling outside tap walls really. If I do get a cordless jobbie can you use these do drill out 32/40mm holes for thee wastes in walls or should I stick to hiring a diamond core one?

.....and breathe......

with drills its definatley a case of the more you pay the better they are the makita you had was one of there cheap range with the all plastic body the better ones are metal gearbox as in the link in another post im suprised it lasted 4 years and im suprised you would bother having it mended

I have both the Makita combi drill and the sds can't fault either of them. I have the changeable chuck on my sds so if a get a wood bit the combi can't handle I can swap the chuck. I regularly use a 5" hole saw with the sds drill

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yeah it was rented. I had a large shed in the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Tried all of it over the years and now have...
Replies
Views
H
I suppose some tradesman just buy an 18v...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
A little warning, keep an eye on your tools...
Replies
Views
  • Question
These threads make me feel old. The first...
Replies
Views
Mike Jackson
M
Back