Problems plumbing in Miele washing machine waste pipe | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Problems plumbing in Miele washing machine waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the black item in the end of the Hose is a non return valve and it's being jammed in by the spigot on the trap.

Either don't push the hose on as far as you have been doing before tightening the clip or measure how far up the hose the vavle is and cut the waste spigot down to that length minus about 10mm. (so there's a gap between the end of the spigot and the valve)
Thought that earlier but then it shouldn`t be able to be pushed down the hose so scrapped that idea.

Thought that earlier but then it shouldn`t be able to be pushed down the hose so scrapped that idea.
UNLESS, the valve flap has been forced back passed the seat when the OP first fitted it to the spigot, If so a very small screwdriver and try and get the valve flap back out so it opens outwards again :eek:

UNLESS, the valve flap has been forced back passed the seat when the OP first fitted it to the spigot, If so a very small screwdriver and try and get the valve flap back out so it opens outwards again :eek:
Or just rip the bloody thing out completely.

If it's not that then it's one of those thing where if any of us were there it would be obvious straight away. (no offence intended to the O.P!)

OP: You were right to meddle as your original standpipe is wrong in many ways. By all means cap it off.

When the Miele manual refers to a non-return valve, does it mean on the fresh water side, or on the drain? I'd be surprised if the waste hose were designed to contain any kind of valve, to be honest.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. And nice to know it wasn't acceptable as it was, as I've been wishing I hadn't started, so at least it's been worth doing. I've read the manual a few times and to me it's just not super clear, it would be great to get Mieles opinion or somebody who's seen a similar hose. But it's reassuring to hear that such a valve is unnecessary from what I've read. I'll have another mess with some pliers on said bit of plastic - from what I can see it's actually a fairly big bit of black plastic about an inch or so in length. It hardly moves. Once I get a bit of time I'll try putting the spigot trap back in and having a play to see if I can get it to work. All your advice really helpful thanks very much

By the way rpm I completely agree I am sure I have done something to said bit of plastic when I put it on the spigot, I did ram it on a few times before I decided to cut down the spigot to size. The moral of the story is don't start a job when knackered after the kids in bed!!! :)

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
Aaarrrgghhh it's driving me mad. I have the waste pipe just free in the sink, so no issues with spigots etc it's simply a waste pipe in a sink basin. Drains super slow, but if I press the black thing in (it moves around 3mm) I get full, super fast flow, let go and back to a trickle. The black bit is definitely a solid bit of plastic, maybe an inch or so with a tiny gap round the side. I've even tried to pull it out wth pliers but no joy. I think time to admit defeat and see if Miele can come up with anything on Monday or even send someone out as I can't see what I've done to make it do this. Thanks for all your help will sleep on it

The Black bit in the hose if/ when it comes out.

Wouldn't pull on the centre part. Try pulling on the outside wall, left side then right etc etc

So just an update!

Problem solved!

And it was, as I'm sure you've all already guessed - completely self inflicted!

See attached photo for what was inside the waste pipe, over to you guys but I guess this is a blanking cap which would have already been in the spigot, and must have been transferred to the waste pipe at some point when I put it on. I don't remember it but it must have been there when I sawed the spigot down to size. What a muppet I am. At least, with your help, I figured it out before the Miele engineer arrives on Friday as I'm guessing they would not have been amused....

Apologies for taking so much of your time with such a trivial thing, it did cause a load of stress this end with a brand new washing machine so I'm really grateful for your help.

IMG_3483.JPG

If I could just trouble you all for one final bit of advice regarding capping off the extremely stinky standpipe (the reason I started all this malarkey in the first place). Thanks for the tip on the quick fix - a carrier bag over the top. Presumably it needs to be airtight so could I cling film over as well as a temp fix?

And then when I permanently cap it - if you were doing it would you do it right at the end of the standpipe or would you do it at the compression fitting under the sink - see 2 photos attached. I'm a bit at a loss of which bit to buy

IMG_3484.JPG

IMG_3485.JPG

Gaffer tape will last for years, but yes, clinglfilm and a rubber band, whatever really. It just needs to be airtight to stop drain smells coming out. Not really worth capping 'properly' as you may as well take the whole dodgy branch and flexible section out at that rate.

Ideally take the tee (arrowed) out and replace with a straight section.
Easier - cut on my scribbly line, making sure you leave enough to get the cap on this horizontal run and use your cap here. You can't cap at the compression fitting under the sink as this is the outlet - you'd be capping off your sink.

Thanks for the advice - is there a diagram with your scribbly line on it - I can't see it? When I said compression fitting under the sink I wasn't talking about the one directly under the sink but the one in this photo where the weird flexible pipe attaches - top right of photo.

IMG_3487.JPG

Capped! That whole dodgy stretch should probably just come out but no time right now

Many thanks again

IMG_3488.JPG

There should have been a picture. I was going to suggest cutting that branch back to before the flexi ie under the sink slightly more left of where the 'weird flexible pipe attaches' and capping there, but quite honestly what you've done is fine.

Yeh you can cut the wastepipe before the tee piece under your sink then use a compression 40mm coupling and use abit of the old pipe you cut out to make up the distance from coupling to trsp.

Your suggestion is better still, Sammathias, if the OP doesn't mind buying a coupling. But then it will look too professional and will be open to criticism ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello where are you located ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you go and put your hose in the top like...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-standpipe-a...
Replies
Views
Back